How and when to add gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that is taking it's time clearing up, and I'm considering adding gelatin. Can someone who is familiar with this process fill me in on the proper procedure for using gelatin as a clarifier?

I take 1tsp and put it in a cup of water. I let this sit for about an hour and then boil it in the microwave(2 minutes) to dissolve and sanitize. Cover and cool in fridge and then add it to the primary. I usually do this about 3-4 days prior to bottling and after FG has been confirmed.

Here's my cut and paste directions that I found on HBT and had great results...

Knox directions
Cold-crash beer in carboy for 2 or 3 days first
Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp gelatin into Pyrex measuring cup containing 1 cup water.
Wait 20-30 minutes.
Microwave for 45 seconds.
Check temperature with sanitized candy thermometer
Microwave in 10-15 second increments until temperature approaches 150° F
Stir with sanitized spoon to ensure gelatin is completely dissolved
Pour solution into carboy of cold beer
Wait 3-4 more days
Rack to corney keg, leaving sediment behind, begin carbing.

brewskerdoo said:
If you boil, won't you make Jello?
When I've used it, I microwave until around 150* - 160* to dissolve and sanitize then let it cool a bit and dump it in.

Only if you let it set in the fridge overnight. All you need to do is cool it so you can add it to the beer:)

I watched this and the first time i used it, my beer came out pretty great. First pint and a half i had to dump cuz it was all the jello/yeast/trub but now its very clear.

And from what ive always read here, u shouldn't actually boil it as that make it less effective but ive never tried it so i can't say for certain.

Also, for what its worth, a kolsch should be slightly cloudy as per the style.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long has your kolsch been lagering? I find mine usally take at least a month of lagering before crystal clear.
Appearance: Very pale gold to light gold. Authentic versions are filtered to a brilliant clarity. Has a delicate white head that may not persist.

I just started lagering my Kolsch this week. This is my first Kolsch, and I thought it would finish clearing up after cold crashing before kegging. I had tried to use gelatin, but I boiled and chilled it and sure enough, I made jello. Now after reading your posts, I'll give the Kolsch 2-3 more weeks and check it again. If it is not clearing, I may try the gelatin, using the instructions posted here. This Kolsch tastes really good, and my wife keeps asking when it will be ready. Thanks!

sfrisby said:
Here's my cut and paste directions that I found on HBT and had great results...

Knox directions
Cold-crash beer in carboy for 2 or 3 days first
Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp gelatin into Pyrex measuring cup containing 1 cup water.
Wait 20-30 minutes.
Microwave for 45 seconds.
Check temperature with sanitized candy thermometer
Microwave in 10-15 second increments until temperature approaches 150° F
Stir with sanitized spoon to ensure gelatin is completely dissolved
Pour solution into carboy of cold beer
Wait 3-4 more days
Rack to corney keg, leaving sediment behind, begin carbing.

This is the way to do it. Waiting the 20-30 min is a big key.

Back