How am I gonna brew NOW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
Or more specifically, how am I going to cool down the wort?

I just moved 5 days ago and one of the first things I noticed about my new apartment is the sink's faucet. My previous apartment's faucet didn't fit my immersion chiller, but I could take the end off and attach an adapter, which worked perfectly. I've been brewing like that for almost 2 years now. The new apartment's faucet not only doesn't fit my immersion chiller; it doesn't come off, so I can't attach an adapter. The sink in the bathroom uses the exact same faucet type, so that's not an option either.

And, before you ask, I do have a cooler, but my brewing pot is WAY too big to fit inside it, so an ice bath would only be possible in the sink and not a cooler.

I just moved 5 days ago and one of the first things I noticed about my new apartment is the sink's faucet. My previous apartment's faucet didn't fit my immersion chiller, but I could take the end off and attach an adapter, which worked perfectly. I've been brewing like that for almost 2 years now. The new apartment's faucet not only doesn't fit my immersion chiller; it doesn't come off, so I can't attach an adapter. The sink in the bathroom uses the exact same faucet type, so that's not an option either.

And, before you ask, I do have a cooler, but my brewing pot is WAY too big to fit inside it, so an ice bath would only be possible in the sink and not a cooler.

Can you change out the faucet? It usually isn't that difficult to do, and you can keep the current faucet on hand to replace if/when you move.

This comes up from time to time. If you absolutely can't get the diffuser off the sink, go to a dollar store or big box store and for about 5 or 10 bucks you can get one of these oldschool sprayer attachments meant for washing hair, usually babies in a kitchen type sink. Or for washing dishes in sinks that don't have them either.

Cut the sprayer end off and attach the hose end to the water in of your immersion chiller.

You may need to use a zip tie, or a hose clamp to make sure the part that goes over the faucet stays in place, but it will work.

I think someone on here took some small bendable metal, and with pop rivet or small nuts and bolts made a little movable loop that you'd flip up over the top of the faucet to hold it in place.

Years and years ago I used these in my home darkroom to hook things like film roll rinsers and other things up to my sink without modifying the plumbing.

31epS6NqJaL.jpg

I ran into a similar situation and stopped chilling my beer.

Good suggestions above though.

Feel like it should be mentioned even though most people have heard about "No Chill"

You could use an aquarium pump in an ice bath to pump ice water through.

Just keep the container with the pump topped off.

That 32 deg water aught to work quick.

Does your apartment have a washer dryer hook up? This winter I ran a garden hose from my washer to my chiller because it was too cold to leave the door open for the outside spigot.

For now, I leave it in my garage overnight. Perfectly chilled in the morning.

In the summer, just dump hot wort in the bucket and toss in the swamp cooler with a few frozen milk jugs (or fermentation chamber if you have one).

This comes up from time to time. If you absolutely can't get the diffuser off the sink, go to a dollar store or big box store and for about 5 or 10 bucks you can get one of these oldschool sprayer attachments meant for washing hair, usually babies in a kitchen type sink. Or for washing dishes in sinks that don't have them either.

Cut the sprayer end off and attach the hose end to the water in of your immersion chiller.

You may need to use a zip tie, or a hose clamp to make sure the part that goes over the faucet stays in place, but it will work.

I think someone on here took some small bendable metal, and with pop rivet or small nuts and bolts made a little movable loop that you'd flip up over the top of the faucet to hold it in place.

Years and years ago I used these in my home darkroom to hook things like film roll rinsers and other things up to my sink without modifying the plumbing.

31epS6NqJaL.jpg

That's a great piece of advice too. I'll definitely keep this in mind. :mug:

First thign I did after unpacking was change out my faucet

Also straight up ruled out several places cause they didnt seem conducive to my brewing

I remember being in Lowes with my garden hose adapter in hand, unscrewing all the demo models to find one that would fit right with the water filter I have on the faucet

Okay, so it turns out that the faucet end CAN come off. But now I have a different issue. The faucet end is ridiculously small. My immersion chiller's connector is almost twice its size and my adapter for my previous faucet is also way too big. Hm...

I don't think they make adapters for faucets this small, so I think that buying a different faucet to replace it with might be the best option.

Okay, so it turns out that the faucet end CAN come off. But now I have a different issue. The faucet end is ridiculously small. My immersion chiller's connector is almost twice its size and my adapter for my previous faucet is also way too big. Hm...

I don't think they make adapters for faucets this small, so I think that buying a different faucet to replace it with might be the best option.

I've been noticing that lately. I think a lot of modern faucets are getting away from the standard size aerators/people needing to hook up garden hose fixtures anymore. I don't know if they even make adaptors that fit that anymore, you maybe better off replacing the faucet or doing what I suggested.

If you do replace the faucet make sure you don't end up getting an odd sized one too.

My sink faucet is a piss-poor weak little thing. As suggested above, you can generally connect your hose/adapter to your shower head assembly though!

Are you renting? As a landlord, Id say be careful with the faucet replacement.

It wouldn't bother me a whole lot if I was informed about the change, In fact I'd make the change for you. Landlords can be cranky about such things.

trout

Are you renting? As a landlord, Id say be careful with the faucet replacement.

It wouldn't bother me a whole lot if I was informed about the change, In fact I'd make the change for you. Landlords can be cranky about such things.

trout

My landlord changed mine for me when I moved in.

I have used the connection for my washer and dry before that worked, I have also taken it outside and used the water hose...if there is a will there is a way keep looking we will get this figured out.

Does your apartment have a washer dryer hook up? This winter I ran a garden hose from my washer to my chiller because it was too cold to leave the door open for the outside spigot.

I just recently split off my washer hookup permanently (just with a T) and put a camlock on it. It is very handy, and I highly recommend for any inside brewers! The flow rate out of there is much better than I got out of my kitchen faucet, and just as good as I get off of a garden spigot. For my plate chiller, it is perfect.

I'd say if you were going to use ice, might as well spend the extra $30-40 to get the submersible pump to leverage the IC and chill down to temp in 10 minutes.

Probably. The good thing about using a bathtub is you don't need ice because of the amount of cold water. With that said, I would only want to do it with a partial boil.

How about a T fitting where your current faucet attaches to the house plumbing and a valve to provide a hose connection under the sink?

This also just came up with a quick google search:
https://www.hydroponics.net/i/137244

That would definitely be a lot cheaper than buying a new faucet. And considering the only thing I need the "standard sized faucet" for is the immersion chiller, this would be a much smarter use.

Has anyone used one of these before?

EDIT: Then again, I don't think this will work because the faucet has a slight curve.

Try the no-chill. Putting a fan on it will greatly decrease the time it takes.
I'm brewing one now and will be able to pitch yeast when I wake up in the morning. But I've let them sit for over 24 hrs before pitching and haven't had bad luck.

You could use an aquarium pump in an ice bath to pump ice water through.

Just keep the container with the pump topped off.

That 32 deg water aught to work quick.

Make sure the pump's not too small, though. I got an aquarium pump that I thought would suit my chiller but it turns out to only push about half the flow rate I want. I can still chill my beer, but it takes longer than I'd like, so do yourself a favor and get the right pump from day one.

You probably had the same book as me, I think I ordered it from B&H photographic, it was something like, Building your own photo equipment cheap with hardware store materials. Or something like that. I built a lot of my own gear.

I think that was it! I use a lot of ghetto darkroom tricks, even now.

Mike

:mug:

Do you have a washer in the apartment?

If so, every one I've seen has a standard hose thread on the water lines, and the matching connection on the wall. What I did to be able to use a hose on my patio (since I only discovered after moving in that the upstairs units in this configuration don't copulating have one) is to attach a short length of hose (VERY tightly screwed on, with some thread sealant) to the hose bib for the Cold line to the washer, and then attach an (also tightly screwed on and thread-sealanted) Y-shutoff to the end of that, with the washer cold feed hose on one end and a quick-disconnect hose fitting on the other.

[EDIT]Well, damn.

Back