How about an oatmeal stout steam beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of merging styles and techniques. What's your guys'/girls' take? I haven't even done a steam beer yet, but this idea has crossed my mind. Also, what happens if you do a "reverse steam beer?" Is it just an ale then?

I'm a little confused. Are you going to use the grain bill and hops of a stout and pitch the California Lager yeast or were you planning on using a stout yeast and fermenting at cooler temperatures?

I was going to use the same ingredients as a stout, but with the yeast and fermentation temps of a steam beer. At least, that's the idea.

I think that would basically be producing a small Baltic porter, don't they traditionally use a lager yeast but ferment in the mid 60s? I'd imagine it would be good, probably a little "cleaner" in taste compared to using an ale yeast (less fruity?).

If you haven't tried making a steam beer yet I'd recommend it, they're great! You could make one normally and then dump your stout on the yeast cake if you wanted to try it out.

I'm not sure what a "reverse steam beer" would be. Ale yeast at lager temps? Wouldn't that just not work?

jmiracle said:
I'm not sure what a "reverse steam beer" would be. Ale yeast at lager temps? Wouldn't that just not work?

A lot of people use ale yeasts at very cool fermentation temps for Baltic Porters instead of the hybrid yeast. I guess that would be a "reverse baltic porter".

Would this be like a black lager? Because I had one of those last night, and it was very tasty.

Back