Texas Houston - DeFalco’s Closing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks. I know I single-handedly kept them in business in the 80s and early 90s. If I remember correctly it was started by two Rice graduates, which struck me as an odd career path at the time. A visit to DeFalcos and Specs was the highlight of many a Saturday morning back then. They always had a few good brews on tap that you could freely sample while browsing the store. The current owner is correct that most of us got into brewing to drink better beer (bc most beer sucked in the 70s and 80s) but i keep brewing now to make better beer cheaply. Between growing your own hops, buying grains in bulk and re-using yeast, I can make a keg of great beer for less than 10 bucks. At $5-8 dollars a pint at stuffy brewpubs, I don't go out to drink great beer; I take a growler of great beer from home when I go out.

According to another thread, maybe they should have attempted to hang in a little longer. It seems some think that most commercial craft beers are mediocre at best and that you can easily brew better at home.. Maybe homebrewing will regain popularity.

Maybe nine LHBSs in one city was over saturated. The best will survive????

According to another thread, maybe they should have attempted to hang in a little longer. It seems some think that most commercial craft beers are mediocre at best and that you can easily brew better at home.. Maybe homebrewing will regain popularity.

Maybe nine LHBSs in one city was over saturated. The best will survive????

Defalco's was the best in town!

I was just thinking about Defalco's. I bet they would be killing it right now.

I was just thinking about Defalco's. I bet they would be killing it right now.
I reached out to Scott this week he said Defalco's lost 2/3 of our business between mid-2014 & mid-2019, so they simply could not carry on. He also said the last month they were slammed with panic business. He was brewing for 8th Wonder and enjoying it but got furloughed due to Covid. That guy is so knowledgeable I can only imagine he will continue to contribute to the craft. IMHO he played a part in making craft brew the success it is today. Both Saint Arnold and 8th Wonder acknowledge Scott's role in their success.

Back