House Yeast Culture Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,

So after my first few batches this year, saving about a cup or two of trub from each one, I have blended three ale yeast cultures into one culture that I pitch into every new batch.

My process is simply to harvest the dregs from the primary once the clear beer has been poured off into sterilized pint-size mason jars. Before use, or if they have been in the fridge for a month, I pour off the clear liquid on top and replace it with fresh, clean water.

I have no idea which one(s) are dominant, and not really concerned as long as the flavour of the beer doesn’t go south.

My questions for the community:

1. Can I harvest and pitch this indefinitely (as long as the flavour is still good)?

2. Should I expect some mutation or die-off within the yeast strains?

3. Has anyone had any complications from doing this themselves?

My three strains are: Safale 05, White Labs 002, and White Labs 023. I am getting around 82% attenuation with this culture.

Related question, I hear a lot of people talking about no longer using a secondary for dry-hopping, oak, etc. However, how complicated will it be for me to get clean yeast if my primary is full of hop matter, oak chips, or whatever?

Peace,

Reevesie

I tried saving yeast this way for a while and got to the point where I wasn't happy with the results. I did notice drift from original properties over time.

Disclaimer, I am not a micro biologist.

1. No. One of strains of yeast will out compete the others in your environment and become the dominant yeast pretty quickly.

2. For die off see 1.

3. Yes.

The best way to do a mixed culture yeast is to main the yeasts separately and then mix to pitch.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer, I am not a micro biologist.

1. No. One of strains of yeast will out compete the others in your environment and become the dominant yeast pretty quickly.

2. For die off see 1.

3. Yes.

The best way to do a mixed culture yeast is to main the yeasts separately and then mix to pitch.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, this helps!

Back