House wild fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
No matter where I have lived, there's always been brett in the house. Whether the house is messy or squeaky clean, brett is all over. If I spill some wort, often times the next day there is a little pellicle. If I let an airlock dry out for too long, brett will worm its way into the beer.

I decided with the saison I brewed to see what happens if I let the stuff in my house take its natural course. I set aside one gallon of saison wort and left it uncovered in a 2 gallon bucket. I aerated it a lot with an O2 wand to ensure that whatever takes hold can grow.

Let's see what happens. Anyone else tried this? I'll post results/pics as I get them.

Lacto will for a pelicle way faster than brett will. That being said brett is everywhere.

Good, some lacto would be great! Lacto doesn't normally form a pellicle, does it? I know there are many different strains. When I've used it, it looked just like sacc.

rexbanner said:
Good, some lacto would be great! Lacto doesn't normally form a pellicle, does it? I know there are many different strains. When I've used it, it looked just like sacc.

I've had pellicles from lacto. I have a Berliner going right now that formed a pellicle right away then it kicked off like sacc. Now that primary is done and I took a gravity reading (disturbed the co2 blanket) the other day a new pellicle is starting to form.

The lacto was cultured from grains in second runnings. The starter formed a pellicle in each step up after a heavy primary.

36 hours later, we have liftoff!

thumb2_2013-01-15-100444-57996.jpg

Sweet good luck with that. I have been wanting to do a "local lambic" with a quick chill to 120 then slowly down to 65 then pitch some dregs from Jester King which is a local farmhouse brewery. I just haven't had the balls to screw with any of my sour beers. Hard to justify messing my pipeline up.

Back