House Strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
This summer I started washing and saving yeast. So far I have only washed cali yeast, but I currently have a porter that I used Scottish yeast with. I plan to save some of that as well.

I'm curious as to what strains you all use as "House Strains". I like Cali yeast, but I'm not sold as it being an everyday yeast for me. Just trying to get some input from all you experts :fro:

I guess it depends on what you like to brew. I brew a lot of pale ales, IPA's and stouts. My go to strain is Wyeast 1272. The floculation alone makes it one of my favorites, I never have to cold crash, not even starters.

^^^^

1272 is great. It has turned into one of my favorite yeasts. My go to for a lot of brews.

1968 works for ESB's

1214 or 3787 for Belgians.

They all are good for their specific uses.

I guess it depends on what you like to brew. I brew a lot of pale ales, IPA's and stouts. My go to strain is Wyeast 1272. The floculation alone makes it one of my favorites, I never have to cold crash, not even starters.

sorry forgot to mention what i mostly make. usually IPAs, pales and stouts.

sorry forgot to mention what i mostly make. usually IPAs, pales and stouts.

Then you'll probably like 1272. I've been using Denny's fav 50 here lately as well and it's growing on me. I don't like the low flocculation though.

Then you'll probably like 1272. I've been using Denny's fav 50 here lately as well and it's growing on me. I don't like the low flocculation though.

i think i used 1272 once. I pitched on a yeast cake, the second beer was awesome, the first was ok i guess. I made a christmas beer with Denny's and I didn't really care for it, but it might have not been the yeast entirely.

I was using pacman for a while until I started using the scottish ale. That's my new favorite.

I have a bunch of 1056 (American ale) and 2308 (Munich lager) I've harvested. That way I have a lager and ale yeast available as needed.

I also have been using Pacman. Since washing it out of a pale ale last year, its been pitched in a majority of 2011's brews. I love it.

Early last month my buddy and I brewed a belgian strong ale. We split it up into two 5.5 gallon batches. The plan was to pitch two vials of WLP-530 Abbey Ale yeast in one of the carboys, and two vials of WLP-500 Trappist yeast in the other. This way we could see which yeast we preferred. However, when it came time to pitch (our judgement may have been slightly impaired), we decided to pitch one of each vial into each carboy. So, I don't know if one strain over took the other, or if I have some sort of mixed hybrid of the two, but I washed some out on Monday and now have a house Belgian strain.

So, I don't know if one strain over took the other, or if I have some sort of mixed hybrid of the two, but I washed some out on Monday and now have a house Belgian strain.

I did a tripel several months ago that I pitched two strains (1214 & 3787) I could definitely taste the two strains. The 3787 was a little more prominent. I think it is because 1214 usually takes a little longer to start. I am going to try it again and pitch the 1214 first to give it a little bit of a head start, then about 8 hours later pitch the 3787.

WLP510 Bastogne Belgian Ale
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale
Pacman
WLP002 English Ale
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Plus the various wine yeasts I've used in ciders.

WLP510 Bastogne Belgian Ale
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale
Pacman
WLP002 English Ale
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Plus the various wine yeasts I've used in ciders.

I always wanted to use the Bastogne yeast and do a Battered Bastards ale or something

Where do you all get pacman at? i haven't used it before but would like to get my hands on some

WLP-041 Pacific Coast yeast or Wyeast 1764... or culture it from a bottle of Rogue

+1 on Pacman. Good versatility with different styles, gravity tolerant and a great workhorse

It's my go to yeast because it will do everything well. If I'm trying to do do something very specific I'll buy a specialty yeast, but pacman will do everything from ales, to lagers, to stouts, and even high gravity it pitched heavy.

It also is a very stable and aggressive yeast.

Back