House Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
For those of you with more than 1 tap at home, do you have a recipe you keep on tap for friends that are BMC drinkers and don't like to stray to far into the craft beer land?

My wife likes the home brew but she tends to like a light lager and I'm thinking something like that might work good for everybody.

Thanks

Linc

No. If someone wants BMC in my house, they need to bring it with them. SWMBO likes stuff like SNPA and Brooklyn Lager. If she wanted something lighter, I'd brew her a hefeweizen. If you want something light you can also brew like a four gallon batch and then top up with one gallon of water...

My husband doesn't like anything with alot of hops, but he is open to trying some things. At first, his favorite was the Dead Guy clone, so I brewed that alot. He still likes that, but another one he recently tried and liked was my Anchor Steam clone. I don't think I'll keep one particular beer on tap (I only have two!) but I think I'll keep either the DG, the AS, a cream ale in the summer, a lager, or a light APA on tap for him and the "others" who might like something less "craft beer like". The other tap will be an IPA or something that I like.

I also have some hard lemonade bottled, and some wine, so if I get some non-beer lovers, I can serve some kind of "girly" things.

I'm definetely not looking to make BMC beer. Just using my wife as an example, she buys Harp, Heinekin, and if we're feeling rich, Chimay. SHe strongly dislikes wheat beers but I love them. Lucky I have 2 taps!!!

I have a Bell's Oberon Clone and Sam Adams Lager Clone both going to secondary today.

I'm relatively new to brewing and I am still having fun brewing clone's of beers I like but I am looking forward to experimenting some in the future.

Thanks for the ideas.

I don't brew anything extra pale, or lagers. If friends and family want something like that they have to bring their own and take whats left with them.
Craig

I only have 2 taps so I'd never keep anything on tap that I won't drink. Fortunately my friends all drink premium and craft beers as well so I don't really have to worry about anybody not liking what's on tap (except my sister, but I make wine too so that keeps her happy :)).

A couple of months ago I tried to make a Budeweiser. What I ended up with wasn't Budweiser, but it was a pretty good Lager that was thoroughly enjoyed by all and only lasted a day or two. It was pretty simple to make, 6 # Pilsener Malt, 2 # rice syrup solids, 1/4 ounce Nugget for Bittering, 1/4 Hallertau for flavor/aroma. I used WPL810 yeast, 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning. Didn't exactly "Lager" the beer, but primary and secondary were both in the low 50s, maybe as low as the 40s some nights, I didn't worry too much about the temperature just set the beer out in the cold garage with some old clothes thrown over to keep the light out of the carboys.

If you want a recipe that your BMC drinking friends will like, I would suggest looking at some of the recipes in the American Ale category. Biermuncher's Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale I know from experience is very tastey, and I've tried Evan's Sweet Baby Jesus in the beer swap. Your friends would like either one of them I'm sure. I hear really good things said about Ed Wort's Bee Cave Haus Ale as well but I haven't tried it yet.

I think you might also like my Coldwater 420 recipe. We'll I'm sure craft brewers would enjoy it, I think BMC drinkers might prefer one of the others.

If I were you, I'd try Biermuncher's Haus Ale - can't go wrong with that one.

Mutilated1 said:
I hear really good things said about Ed Wort's Bee Cave Haus Ale as well but I haven't tried it yet.
+1 to Edwort's Haus Pale.

That was my first AG brew, and I'm seriously pleased with it. It's tasty and easy-drinking, and an absolute piece of piss to make.

I haven't ever brewed any really light 'session' beers to date (never anything below 1.045 or so, IIRC)... I'm planning to brew an 11-gal batch of 1.033 ordinary bitter this weekend, to try out the idea of having a light session beer on tap. Mostly for myself - so I can drink a few beers while watching a movie without getting a little buzz and losing the motivation to get things done afterward - but also for my friends, who don't have a great history of chipping in some money when it comes time for me to buy ingredients to brew the beer they often drink.

Funkenjaeger said:
I haven't ever brewed any really light 'session' beers to date (never anything below 1.045 or so, IIRC)... I'm planning to brew an 11-gal batch of 1.033 ordinary bitter this weekend, to try out the idea of having a light session beer on tap. Mostly for myself - so I can drink a few beers while watching a movie without getting a little buzz and losing the motivation to get things done afterward - but also for my friends, who don't have a great history of chipping in some money when it comes time for me to buy ingredients to brew the beer they often drink.
I've actually scaled most of my usual beers down to session strength. They taste so good I like to be able to have a few without ending up taking a nap or something. I have a 6% IPA on tap right now (I usually have ~3.3% beers on tap) that is killing me because I'm not used to it anymore. :D

Back