House Joist Weight Limit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen where other homebrewer’s have hoists attached to the ceiling joists. What a great idea. Nothing like trying to maneuver a 5-gallon keg into the keezer. I believe a hoist would be, for me, a tremendous help.

My question. What is the amount of weight a joist, for a house build in the 2000s, can handle? By “house build in the 2000s” I mean a joist with wood on top, wood on the bottom and particle board in between (in other words, not solid wood).

If I’ve posted this query into the wrong forum, my apologies. Moderator, please move to the appropriate forum.

Thanks

Example of the type of house joist I'm attempting to describe.

joist.jpg

I think a 5 gal keg would be fine, just get an eyelet that the shank is no more than a half in longer than the bottom 2 x 2 of that joist.

EDIT: I have regular joists in my house and use to own a keezer. I had a hoist in the ceiling and i used it to left 1/2 bbl commercial kegs into my keezer.

I think a 5 gal keg would be fine, just get an eyelet that the shank is no more than a half in longer than the bottom 2 x 2 of that joist.

EDIT: I have regular joists in my house and use to own a keezer. I had a hoist in the ceiling and i used it to left 1/2 bbl commercial kegs into my keezer.

Thanks for the reply. What type of hoist?

I guess I can always put a wood runner between the joists and attach the hoist to the runner. I did the same in my garage to hang bikes.

Thanks for the reply. What type of hoist?

I guess I can always put a wood runner between the joists and attach the hoist to the runner. I did the same in my garage to hang bikes.
My hoist was way overkill and is like the one below. And it is still up in the ceiling above the tiles.

1610752424769.png

It allowed for one hand operation, all I had to do was to pull on one side or the other of the chain loop.

lets see if this link works.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...irBtczwwgAMYb2PXsXxoCx1kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you can't pick up a 5 gallon keg without some kind of a lift arrangement, perhaps it would be cost effective to switch to 2.5 gallon kegs.....

Example of the type of house joist I'm attempting to describe.

joist.jpg
About those joists...

They are meant to carry weight on top, not hanging from the bottom, they'd pull apart, possibly losing integrity.*
It's the vertical piece of OSB board that provides the low flexing specs, as long as the force applied is straight downward.

* Now you can hang a distributed weight from the bottom of the "I-beam," such as a ceiling, but not a large weight in a single spot. Keep that in mind when mounting and using the hoist/slider.

* Now you can hang a distributed weight from the bottom of the "I-beam," such as a ceiling, but not a large weight in a single spot. Keep that in mind when mounting and using the hoist/slider.

That's the reason I mentioned a few contact points to distribute the weight, but something to think about.

One thing about the trolley's, depending on the bolts you use, sometimes the trolley will hit them making it unusable. They do make deep uni-strut that would take care of the problem.

If I attach a piece of wood between at least 2 joists and mount the rail to the piece of wood this should distribute the weight among the joists thereby avoiding a single heavy point.

I still think this is a great solution when I'm putting a keg into the keezer. I've always felt/wished I had another arm. Lift the keg, slightly move the hoses in the keezer, carefully position the keg going into the keezer, etc. I believe the hoist will greatly simplify this task.

Back