House IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at my own IPA recipe. My first batch is going to be a single hop. Here's what I am thinking and my reasoning - would love feedback on this!

OG 1.070
Plan on ~ 78% attenuation (1.015). Yeast - Wyeast 1056. Or maybe Conan.
Mash temp - 152F

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10.75 lb 2-Row 37 1.8 81.9%
21 oz Vienna 35 4 10%
7 oz Biscuit 35 23 3.3%
8 oz Caramel / Crystal 15L 35 15 3.8%
2 oz Acidulated Malt 27 3.4 1%

Vienna - for complexity; so it's not just plain 2 row. A little graininess. Was going to use munich, but I don't want it real red.

Biscuit - for some breadiness. Will use Victory if LHBS doesn't have Biscuit.

C-15 - I didn't want to use Crystal malts at all, but had CARA-PILS in for head retention. Changed to C-15 to get SRM to approriate color for an IPA. Any other suggestions for a little color and head retention? I've been using flaked wheat alot and want to try something different.

Acid malt - for mash PH.

HOPS - ~75IBU
60 MIN - 25 IBU
15 MIN - 20 IBU
10 - 19 IBU - 1 oz
5 - 10 IBU - 1 oz
0/HOP STAND - 2 oz
DRY HOP - 4 oz

Looks pretty good to me. I'd mash low and pitch a good amount of healthy yeast. What hop you going with?

I'm thinking I would like to ditch the crystal malt. any suggestions for a replacement? Also, I was thinking I should have more bittering at 60 minutes...

I don't think you necessarily need a replacement. Carapilos/crystal and wheat are my usual suspects for head retention but I don't always use them. Just finished off a MO single malt beer that seemed to have plenty, maybe from the hops.

I don't think you necessarily need a replacement. Carapilos/crystal and wheat are my usual suspects for head retention but I don't always use them. Just finished off a MO single malt beer that seemed to have plenty, maybe from the hops.

Well I would like something to bring the color to 6 SRM or so. I have had all Maris ipas that are awesome BTW

With your current grainbill replacing the crystal with 2-row I'm getting an SRM around 6 in Beersmith, though I know that can be probably the least accurate spec with calculators. Honestly I wouldn't mess with the grain bill worrying about color, even if you wanted to enter it in competition it's going to be in range or close (i.e. something pale as it doesn't sound like you're not wanting a red or amber). Of course it's your beer. You could up the biscuit a tad.
:mug:

If you really do not want crystal malts in there, you could always use some wheat for head retention and use 1-2 ounces of Carafa II or III. That will give you color, and in that small of an amt, there won't be any roast flavors. I also like to use some (.25-.5lbs) of flaked oats in many of my IPA's along with the same amount of wheat.

If you really do not want crystal malts in there, you could always use some wheat for head retention and use 1-2 ounces of Carafa II or III. That will give you color, and in that small of an amt, there won't be any roast flavors. I also like to use some (.25-.5lbs) of flaked oats in many of my IPA's along with the same amount of wheat.

What do u think? Crystal or no?

You can add a small amount of carafa III during the last few minutes of the mash to avoid any roasty flavors also

What do u think? Crystal or no?

You don't want a bunch of crystal in an IPA/APA - I agree with you on that. Having said that - my "house" IPA/APA type beers I use 1/4lb of briess caramel 20 or 40 in them. A little bit is fine. You just don't want a beer to get sweet/caramel flavored. A little won't do that though.

Try it both ways if it is going to be your house beer, and see which you like best.

Here's another version. Not sure about the flaked barley, just want to try something other than flaked wheat... What do you think - should I have left well enough alone?

Code:
Amount		Fermentable		PPG		°L		Bill %
10.75 lb	Pale 2-Row		37		1.8		81.1%
21 oz		Vienna			35		4		9.9%
7 oz		Biscuit			35		23		3.3%
4 oz		Flaked Barley           32		2.2		1.9%
2 oz		Acidulated Malt	        27		3.4		0.9%
2 oz		Carafa II		32		425		0.9%
4 oz		Flaked Oats		33		2.2		1.9%

The 2 oz of carafa will likely make it red, if that's what you want. I don't think I would put flaked oats in an IPA, I guess you could try the flaked barley for head retention if you wish I've just never used it in a pale or IPA.

I don't see anything "wrong" with your grainbill. You may or may not have some things that are unnecessary..... Do you need Vienna and Biscuit? Maybe not.... but, it will likely taste great. .... Might taste great without it too. Flaked barley and Flaked wheat? Need it? Maybe not - but it is not going to make your beer "bad" or anything like that.

I use 1/4-1/2lb of both wheat and flaked oats in most of my APA/IPA type beers. I like the body, head retention, mouth feel it gives. Many/most might not do that - still make great beer too.

Try a batch like you have proposed (there is nothing in there that is going to make your beer bad). Then, try a really simplified grainbill and see what you like best.

As for the carafa .... see what the SRM projection is. I usually shoot for something in the 4.5-6.5 range.... personal preference really. 1-2 ounces ought to do that I would think. I would rather have it lighter than darker.... again, personal preference.

You are in the realm of splitting hairs at this point though - that grain bill will make a nice IPA if everything else is in order (hops, water, fermentation temps, sanitation, etc.)

Totally agree with Braufessor, at this point the tweaking you are asking about comes down to personal preference. Oats to me give almost an oily mouthfeel, and some body, as mentioned. I like it in a stout but I actually don't want that in my IPA's, which I like bright and crisp. If you like that then add it. I do think it makes sense to examine each ingredient and know why you are adding it. A quick plug into beersmith gives me about 6 SRM for your original recipe, about 10.5 for the modification.
:mug:

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I know I'm splitting hairs! But I haven't written many recipes of my own and none really from scratch so I really want to know what I'm getting out of the ingredients. I think I'll go with flaked barley, no oats, and just a pinch of carafa. Time to over analyze my hop additions...

I used to use a small percentage of flaked barley in most of my recipes. At the time, I had a bunch around and I really liked the foam it produced. I haven't used it in a while, but it's a good way to produce a fluffy head without many side effects. If you keep it at about five percent or less you shouldn't have any clarity issues.

Latest posts

Back