Hotter fermenting beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingSailor

Reaction score
Its getting to be hot where I live, in fact we are already averaging over 90+ every day with some days getting over 100 easily. In the winter it was no problem to keep my fermentation area between 65-70 degrees but unless I want to have the a/c running constantly (and I'm not a millionaire) I can't really find any part of my house that is going to stay below 80 degrees reliably. Are there any recipes or yeasts that are able to withstand that kind of fermentation temperatures?

Keep your primary in a water bath and use some plastic bottles filled with frozen water to chill the bath water each day. A plastic keg bin works great for a water bath.

Would a full size fridge be adequate as a fermentation chamber? Does anyone know if it is possible for it to stay between 60-75 on a consistent basis?

A full size fridge is fine. You will probably need to rig it up with a temperature controller. I've never done it, but there is plenty of documentation on here from members. As far as I can tell, its a simple DIY.

Temperature controllers are the way to go. Just picked up a Ranco temp controller for a chest freezer I recently obtained. If you're uncomfortable with wiring/electrical work, you may want to opt for the pre-wired version. The wiring diagrams aren't the best of help, but if you need a visual guide, you may want to check this out:

Wiring a Ranco Temperature Controller - BrewBoard

In the meantime though, a simple swamp cooler like others have talked about would be perfect for you.

Thanks for all the help guys. I realize that a swamp cooler would be the idea method and I would like to do that but looking around the house, I would have trouble putting something like that anywhere, whereas I actually have some space in my garage where I could fit a fridge conveniently.

Back