Hot-side aeration -- B3 vs Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarindel

Reaction score
I'm going to be making my first batch of beer tomorrow (using a partial-boil), and I've been reading both the instructions that came with my ingredient kit (from B3) and those in Palmer's "How to brew". They are almost identical except for one thing:

1) B3's instructions say to put 2 gallons of cold water in the fermenter, cool the wort to 130F, and then pour the wort into the fermenter to cool it to the recommended temperature for pitching. The advantage of this method is that it cools the beer from 130 to 90 very quickly, avoiding that range where bacteria like to grow.

2) Palmer says to cool the wort below 80F before pouring to avoid hot wort oxidation. This would mean a longer time in the 130-90 range.

That's a pretty big difference in pouring temperatures. Any thoughts or recommendations?

you'll get several answers on this. many, if not most, feel that hot side aeration is not something the homebrewer has to worry about. Our volumes are low enough its difficult to hot side aerate.

i would rather get it a little cooler though. closer to 100F.

malkore said:
you'll get several answers on this. many, if not most, feel that hot side aeration is not something the homebrewer has to worry about. Our volumes are low enough its difficult to hot side aerate.

i would rather get it a little cooler though. closer to 100F.
I would agree, 130 seems a bit high to me unless the water is icy cold.

Back