Hot Plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_ward

Reaction score
I have just odered all my equipment and can not wait to get started. I have planned to set up my own little brewery in the basement complete with a large brand new utility sink to sanitize everything in and I am needing a heat source. Has anyone used a hot plate to boil? If so what should I be looking for and if there is a model you have luck with? I do have a turkey fryer to use outside but our weather in Missouri is terrible. Any ideas would be appreciated and would like to keep cost to under $100.

:mug:

Welcome.

I doubt that you'll be able to find a hotplate that could handle a large volume boil. At least one that wouldn't cost as much as a used electric stove. It would be interesting to pursue though.

This looks interesting... Maybe you can find it on EBAy for less than the 200 + I've seen online.

42539737-100x100-0-0.jpg

http://www.instawares.com/champion-...TM&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=12-41535479-2

On a practical basis, you will be limited to 1500 watts unless you have 220 volts. People have brewed successfully with 110v hot sticks, which are basically water heater elements. You can do partial boils with either.

Not sure if a good model would let you get by on the "under $100" mark, but your best bet, from my experience in commercial kitchens, would possibly be an induction burner (depending on your pot)

You should at least look into it....

TerapinChef said:
Not sure if a good model would let you get by on the "under $100" mark, but your best bet, from my experience in commercial kitchens, would possibly be an induction burner (depending on your pot)

You should at least look into it....
For best results you need to make sure the pot you are using is magnetic if you are using an induction burner. Many manufacturers will state if their pot can be used on an induction burner.

Check this link for induction pots. I would get at least the 40 quart so that you can do a full boil All Grain. I'm not sure if this would work with a 1300-1500 induction burner. Maybe someone else knows.

david_42 said:
On a practical basis, you will be limited to 1500 watts unless you have 220 volts. People have brewed successfully with 110v hot sticks, which are basically water heater elements. You can do partial boils with either.
The hot sticks are a very interesting. I have seen designs where people built 2 for 60 bucks.

The problem is that they can be somewhat dangerous to use and build.

You have to make sure they are fully submerged when they are on.

You also have to make sure that you change your electrical outlet so that it will trip in the event that something electrical goes wrong.

You also have to make sure that the electrical circuit inside does not get water/wort inside otherwise the stick will short out and will be instantly damaged.

Back