Hot peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPennell

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gallon fermenter and I would like to make my next batch a little spicy. How many peppers should I put in the fermenter

Sent from my MB886 using Home Brew mobile app

Different peppers have wildly different amounts of heat. It depends on if you want just the heat, or good pepper flavor in your beer. Depending on what's available to you, I'd punch that pepper name into the search bar, or better yet google "site:homebrewtalk.com ::insert name of pepper here::"

I used 0.33 lbs of hot smoked hatch chilis in a 5 gallon batch and it turned out awesome. Lots of aroma and flavor with just the right amount of spice. It's amazing with Mexican food or chips and salsa.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391738611.696278.jpg

I made a jalapeño cream ale (4 gal) and used 4 japapenos that were roasted and sliced thin. 2 went in at 10 mins, and 2 were "dry peppered" for 11 days, and it came out with a nice jalapeño flavor with a mild heat. I intend to up it next time to 5 jalapeños, though I'll also resize it to 6 gals now that I know it's awesome!!!

Back