Hot lager! Oh my!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
I started my first (of the season) batch of lager this morning. I had propagated up 1.6L of 2206 Bavarian for this brew. I had to pitch before I left for work. The wort was 85F, warmer than I would have liked, but OK I thought....
Came home to a blow-off! It was cooking like an ale, and had 8+F of thermal- that is, the room temp was 62, the wort temp was 70+F.
I'm cooling the brew 2F at a time, prolly in 12 hour phases, until it gets down to ~60F.
All I can say is, WOW! I didn't expect it to go off like that!
I'm sure there were several contributors:
1. 1.6L of krausening yeast on the stir plate is a big pitch
2. I put a shot of yeast nutrient in the wort
3. I aerated the he|| out of it.
4. The higher than normal temp may have boosted yeast activity too.
Any insight from the long time lager brewers on any negative results? I always do a 24-48 hour diacetyl rest, and have never had a problem that way. This brew usually turns out to be a Bavarian to die for :mug:

i'd stick that puppy straight down to 50-55 now. the actual temp change will take much longer and allows the yeast to adapt to it

You have but one contributing factor:
TEMPERATURE!

There is no reason to ever pitch lager yeast at 85°F, even if you aim to make steam beer. There are varying opinions as to the proper pitching temperature for a lager, but NONE of them suggest anything close to 85°! Even 60° is a bit on the high side, especially once the initial ferment is complete (and it is, based on your results thus far). Get ready for esters galore...

yup. in your list above the biggest factor is #4. except it isn't may have..it did.

read this

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Lager Brewing

or for another opinion read what Jamil and Palmer say about lagering in "Brewing Classic Styles" (this is the method i have been using lately).

you need to get that temp down quick..especially before the fermentation has gone too far...i would worry more about that than "shocking" the yeast. the longer it sits up there the more diacetyl's/esters are being created and the more off flavors will be in your beer. look into a diacetyl rest and a looong lager to try and save it as well.

the other option..im not sure with the 2206 strain but with some of them..like the 2124 you can also ferment warm with them too eliminate sulfur production for what wyeast calls a pseudo-ale..it wont be a lager..but it will be something

Wyeast Laboratories. Bohemian Lager™ 2124

good luck and LEARN something from this

oh ya...what type of setup do you have for lagering?

if im pressed for time what ill do (i have a freezer and temp controller) is just put my fermenter in the freezer with airlock and stuff on it all sealed up and leave it in the freezer for the day or overnight and then pitch when i know the temp is correct.

is it ideal leaving your beer un-pitched and more open to contamination....no. but it is a small risk and one i would rather take than risking a poor start on my batch and having it turn out less than what i want by not being able to control the temperatures the way i want to.

the more i play and learn the more important i think fermentation temperature control is...i have even started controlling my ales with a tight temperature range...not just letting them run as they want in the corner of my room or closet.

Back