Hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
I assume that's what it is but I've never asked.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

1394297544620.jpg

It's break material, but I can't tell from the photo if it's cold break or hot break.

Hot break material looks like the wort is filled with egg drop soup- small particles while cold break is bigger and fluffier particles of coagulated proteins.

Yup... Be sure to do a whirlpool before transferring the wort through the cooler or into the fermenter—if you don't already.

It's made a world of difference for me. I just whirl with my long spoon and let it sit for 10min or so until it settles down. Then i run everything through my plate chiller into the fermenter. I use a hop sock, but I still end up with a big mound of gunk in the middle.

I'm able to rack just about every drop of wort out of the the kettle this way.

Yup... Be sure to do a whirlpool before transferring the wort through the cooler or into the fermenter—if you don't already.

It's made a world of difference for me. I just whirl with my long spoon and let it sit for 10min or so until it settles down. Then i run everything through my plate chiller into the fermenter. I use a hop sock, but I still end up with a big mound of gunk in the middle.

I'm able to rack just about every drop of wort out of the the kettle this way.

I just dump everything in except hops and I have wonderful tasting clear beer :rockin:

Ya, but I also have less trub, so I rack off more beer at the end. Plus it's less crap to deal with when harvesting yeast.

I dump everything in. All of it. Pitch yeast and go about my business. My beers taste great. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion about it. But know this, it's actually hard to mess up making a good beer unless you ferment at 80 degrees F.

Fermentation temps are one of the most important things to keep in check. Beyond that, it's hard to mess up too bad. Well, assuming you are actually trying to do things right. Reckless abandon might not be a good plan. I did make a lager that would qualify as a "reckless abandon batch". I let the airlock dry out. Left it for a few months that way. Fermented it in the 70's anyways. So it was like, who cares anyways. I bottled it anyhow. At 6 weeks I decided to call it Orc Grog. As it's approaching 6 months of age, it's getting better. I'm thinking another year and it will be pretty good. Different, but pretty good.

Moral of the story: It's actually pretty hard to completely ruin a beer. Go buy a lambic and then tell me your beer isn't any good. It's all subjective.

Back