Hot Break and Kettle Trub into Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
What is the impact of putting most/all the hot break material and kettle trub into the fermenter?

Does it change the taste of the final beer? For the better or worse? What is the taste difference?

Does it affect the yeast/fermentation? For the better or worse? What is the fermentation difference?

Thanks!

Dump it all in,all it means is more beer for you.No taste difference.I do 10 gallon split batches.The first bucket is off the top and clean.The second bucket gets all the hot break.I could swear that the bucket with the hot break always takes off faster.Maybe something about the proteins and nutrients .I used to fear the hot break now I embrace it.

From what I've read and done it actually makes for clearer and "better" tasting beer. From my own experience it does make for a clearer beer, but haven't noticed any change in taste. I don't try to add it, but I don't try not to.

Oddly enough my most trubby beers turn out the clearest and cleanest tasting. (When I use my coarse BIAB, instead of my 3 tier system).

I dump it all in, through a mesh strainer - mostly so that I can aerate the wort.

Whatever is caught (mostly hop material) is strained out, but everything too small to get caught goes in. My beers have been very clear in the bottle for the most part, and the flavours have all been fine.

I keep most out because I like to reuse the yeast slurry for future batches. I also only brew Lagers and feel it gives me a cleaner taste.

Latest posts

Back