Hot and Cold Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
What is the proper way to dispose of the hot and cold break. I was reading Palmer's book, and I understand it is best to get rid of as much break as possible right?

So do you guys use strainers, and do you get rid of the break after you have chilled the wort?

It's not really going to hurt anything, because the break tends to quickly settle on the bottom of the fermenter, with the yeast settling on top of it, so it essentially becomes isolated from the beer within a few days.

Lately I've been trying to get less break material and hop particles into the fermenter to make racking and cleanup easier. So I use a 5-gallon nylon paint strainer bag for boiling my hops, I whirlpool as the wort is cooling down to collect the break material in the center of the kettle, and then I siphon from the edge of the kettle through a stainless steel strainer, leaving much of the break material behind in the kettle and strainer.

Back