Hot and Cold Break in Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Okay so I brewed a huge IIPA on Saturday. I hit all my numbers, started with 13.5 gal. in the BK, boiled 90 min., ended up with 11.5 gal. at 1.078 OG. I have a hop stopper, and because I used so many hops in the boil, I couldn't even get 10 gal. in the fermenter. I used a plate chiller and a pump, and with approx. 2 gal. left it clogged. At this point i probably should have been happy with 9 gal. of clean wort, but I wasn't. So I took a pitcher and dipped right into the BK and poured about a gal and a half on hop soup right into the fermenter to get approx. 10 gal. This of course raised my temp to 85 and I had to wait 3 hours to get it down to 67 at which time I pitched a 3500 mil started. :eek: :drunk:

Did I totally screw myself, or will I be okay? Any issues that I should be looking for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eastside

Yes I sanitized pitcher, I gues I just have a mild case of "Brewer's Panic". Thanks for your response.

Back