Hostel....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Warning Warning, If you haven't seen it yet and want to, don't read on....

Has anyone seen the two Hostel movies? I just watched 2..Man, Lot's of blood..When that chick cut off that guys pecker:ban: , I was like W-T-F!!I'm not sure which one I liked better..Hot chicks and killing. What's better...

I never saw the first one, but SWMBO and I watched the second one a few weeks ago. I about crapped my pants when she cut off that dude's junk and fed it to that dog.

SWMBO didn't make it through the whole movie. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay to violent for her.

I think the first one was better. The first of the series..More naked girls..Or I should say, more naked Russian girls..

And when that lady was laying in the empty bath with the blood raining down...Wow!!You go Eli Roth....

PseudoChef said:
Hostel 1 was pretty entertaining, but Hostel 2 was just stupid.

I liked it, because it was shot from the perspective of the hunting club..How they auctioned off the victims and catered to the members.Pretty imaginative.

It was pretty ok, about what I had expected. I have seem many movies that were much worse

One was great, especially the first 45 minutes with all the hot naked chics, 2 was more of the same, less the nakedness and rather predictable.

Beerlord said:
One was great, especially the first 45 minutes with all the hot naked chics, 2 was more of the same, less the nakedness and rather predictable.

I bet you didn't predict she was gonna get away and chop off the guys dik..Ouch!!
I sure didn't

wow, im surprised so many people liked them so much.

i thought they were very boring. all i saw was a lot of gore and nothing to keep me interested. i certainly didnt care about the fate of any of the characters.

just my opinion though. glad you all enjoy it.

just watched 2 earlier this week. meh. i thought that scene was too much. and it was BS she just bought her way out of it. weak plot twist IMO. rather see her die like her friends.

not enuf bewbies either!

Air Pirate said:
wow, im surprised so many people liked them so much.

i thought they were very boring. all i saw was a lot of gore and nothing to keep me interested. i certainly didnt care about the fate of any of the characters.

just my opinion though. glad you all enjoy it.

I haven't seen the second one. The first one I enjoyed a lot because the effects were really well-done. I enjoy a good slasher flick, and that's really what it was. It wasn't high cinema, but I didn't expect even the little bit of story there was. It was fun. :)

by the way, in my head there's two categories of movies I enjoy: Genuinely good/great movies and Fun movies. Fun movies may have only one redeeming quality, but if I was even slightly entertained and I don't feel that I regret the time it took to watch it, it's still fun. *grin*

The Hostel movies in particular or slasher films in general?

Hostel had a couple of mildly interesting twists going on. What appealed to me more than that was the really well-done effects, like I mentioned before.

As for slasher films in general...they appeal to different people for different reasons.

Some people watch 'em because they enjoy being scared. Some people watch 'em for the amusement factor (often bad acting, bad effects, bad plot...some of the stuff that's come out of Full Moon's been a hoot). Some people enjoy the effects, or the joy in finding a truly good movie when all you expected was a typical slasher film.

I've always loved horror movies, and the more creative slasher films have always appealed to me. :)

mrkristofo said:
Can someone answer why these movies have appeal? I just don't get it. I can't imagine what sort of value it would bring in to my life. Enlighten me.

I grew up on horror movies. Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm street, Halloween, etc.

a movie doesn't necessarily have to be 'great' to be entertaining. Case in point, the Grindhouse double-feature pays homage to the old drive-in B movies of long ago. there's nothing really surprising in either flick because they follow that old school formula in terms of the plot.

but the movies themselves are made well, and the acting is very good.

no worries if they're not your cup of tea. I for one dislike drama, romance, and musical genre movies most of the time, and I take little pleasure in watching any televised sports.

NitrouStang96 said:
I saw Hostel 1, and that is why I'm not going to see Hostel 2.

Same here. Not because of the gore but because the movie stunk. Bad acting, little substance, pointless violence. Bomb IMO...

Bulls Beers said:
I bet you didn't predict she was gonna get away and chop off the guys dik..Ouch!!
I sure didn't
yeah it was kind of obvious. My wife hates watchign movies with me cuz I usually ruin them about 30 minutes in.

mrkristofo said:
Can someone answer why these movies have appeal? I just don't get it. I can't imagine what sort of value it would bring in to my life. Enlighten me.

+1

To me, the main point/draw/intention/direction of these movies is to showcase the worst aspects of humanity and to do so in the most graphic/disturbing/realistic way.

Is this not the point of these movies? There may be naked chicks, humor, good acting, etc that 'improve' upon them, but they are not the focal point of the movie and why it was created.

If you like them that's fine with me, I'm TOTALLY against censhorship, but like mrkristofo I just don't get it. I'm not condemning anything or anyone, I'm just calling a spade a spade in my opinion. If you don't think this is what these movies are about, I'd be happy to hear why.

landhoney said:
+1

To me, the main point/draw/intention/direction of these movies is to showcase the worst apects of humanity and to do so in the most graphic/disturbing/realistic way.

Is this not the point of these movies? There may be naked chicks, humor, good acting, etc that 'improve' upon them, but they are not the focal point of the movie and why it was created.

If you like them that's fine with me, I'm TOTALLY against censhorship, but like mrkristofo I just don't get it. I'm not condemning anything or anyone, I'm just calling a spade a spade in my opinion. If you don't think this is what these movies are about, I'd be happy to hear why.

That's precisely what I was getting at. I've enjoyed my share of bad horror movies (Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, etc), even laughed at some recent ones because of how bad the acting was (The Descent & Emily Rose come to mind), but I don't get the exploitation aspect of these slasher films.

Like landhoney said, I'm not condemning them, just curious to what I might be missing because so many people seem to enjoy them.

I agree these movie have no clear purpose. IMO, its just self-indulgent crap that these ****ty director/producers want to see on the screen. I think they get off on people paying money to sit through their garbage...

I have seen a lot of bad movies. I even enjoy bad movies, especially bad horror movies. But when I walked out of hostel 1 at the theatre I literally stood up mad and said "what a piece of s***" and walked out. I actually rank it as the worst movie I have ever seen. It isn't even picturing the worst parts of humanity, if you have heard some of the stories from the african rebellions or nazi camps this isn't even close to how sick people truly are. It is like some suburban kid got bored and tried to gross people out.
Hostel 1 was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. I can't express how much I hated this movie.

Isn't there a study about the combination of violence and sex producing serial killers?

Back