Hose type for counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 214470

Reaction score
Building the CFC here... Just bought 40 feet of 1/2" OD copper tubing and now looking for 3/4" hose for "cooling shield". I'm a little confused here, because I've seen guys here using regular garden hoses - but are they suitable? I mean, garden hoses are designed for cold water, right? And I'm imagining my CFC sanitation like this: run a few gallons of boiling (212'F) water through the copper tube, without running cold water through the hose – in this case, the hose will be contacted with 212'F copper tube for 5~10 minutes – any concerns with the regular garden hose?

Where I live (EU, not USA), I can get 140'F rated food-grade PVC hose (clear/non-reinforced) – would this be better than regular garden hose? (I was also thinking - clear hose would be cool as it would be see-through :)

The temperature ratings typically apply at the rated pressure. Since there will be no pressure in the garden hose during sanitation it should be ok. Make sure at least one end is open so no pressure can build up inside the hose and any hot water or steam that comes out unexpectedly is not directed toward you or a helper.

I guess I should be alright then. Anyways, I'll probably buy clear 140'F rated hose, just to be on the safer side.
Never used the CFC – what't the approx temperature of "spent" water?

The temperature of the cooling water at the exit will depend on the flow rates of both fluids. If the cooling water and wort flow at the same rate and the cooler efficiency is good the exiting water will approach the temperature of the hot wort. A good heat exchanger will have an approach of about 10 degrees F. If the cooling water flows faster than the wort the temperature of the cooling water at the exit will be lower that the hot wort.

Building the CFC here... Just bought 40 feet of 1/2" OD copper tubing and now looking for 3/4" hose for "cooling shield". I'm a little confused here, because I've seen guys here using regular garden hoses - but are they suitable? I mean, garden hoses are designed for cold water, right? And I'm imagining my CFC sanitation like this: run a few gallons of boiling (212'F) water through the copper tube, without running cold water through the hose – in this case, the hose will be contacted with 212'F copper tube for 5~10 minutes – any concerns with the regular garden hose?

Where I live (EU, not USA), I can get 140'F rated food-grade PVC hose (clear/non-reinforced) – would this be better than regular garden hose? (I was also thinking - clear hose would be cool as it would be see-through :)

Regular garden hose. When, I ran my CFC. I would run boiling wort through my CFC for 10 minutes. The hose got hot but never showed any signs of breaking down. I've had in now for 10 years. Here in Texas the hose laying in the yard with the sun beating down on it. I'm sure it get's in the mid hundreds easy and they last for years. Once the cooling starts water exits at 160F but rapidly drops.

No concerns at all with regular garden hose. Needless to say, I wouldn't drink the water from it. :smack:

Back