Hose for All-Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
Hello -

When you are buying tube for a variety of homebrewing tasks (mash draining, siphoning, bottling, etc...) is there a particular type of hose you should buy (i.e., food grade, temperature specific, etc...). I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I can simply go to a Home Depot and buy some basic clear vinyl tubing.

Thanks!!

It depends on wether you will be pumping hot liquid through the hose. If you are, thermoplastic or silicone is the way to go. If you aren't going to exceed mash temps in the hose, I think you can get away with standard vinyl.

For cold side work (bottling, siphoning, etc...) the food grade vinyl hose sold at home depot will work just fine.

Some of that hose is good up to the 170 degree or so range, but if you plan on transferring anything hotter, you'll want silicone or something similar that can handle the heat.

Maybe a stupid question, but how can you tell if it's food grade or not? It doesn't specifically say...

Back