Hornindal Kveik Yeast - Rotten Eggs and slow to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorjohn11892

Reaction score
I've brewed a 2.5 gallon 1.061 OG NEIPA wort and pitched the Omega yeast packet straight in to the fermenter with no yeast starter. 2 days later there is little to no activity and I opened my fermenter and there is no krausen, but there are CO2 bubbles. It also reeks of rotten eggs. It is currently at 74 deg F. Can anyone explain this problem that I am having?

Thanks!

I opened my fermenter and there is no krausen, but there are CO2 bubbles. It also reeks of rotten eggs.
Either
The Hornindal doesn't have enough nutrients (it's used to lots of nutrient from high gravity wort). The low temp might also be affecting it.
- or -
You have a contamination.

If the fermentation isn't more than 50% complete, I would add a little yeast nutrient and give the beer a good stir to aerate it a little.

Sorry let me correct myself. Not "rotten eggs", just eggs - like sulfur. I'm about to start putting a space heater on it and give it a good stir. Hopefully that will make something happen. I appreciate the input. Maybe get some yeast nutrient from my LHBS.

Sorry let me correct myself. Not "rotten eggs", just eggs - like sulfur. I'm about to start putting a space heater on it and give it a good stir. Hopefully that will make something happen. I appreciate the input. Maybe get some yeast nutrient from my LHBS.
I understood. The odor/flavor is caused by hydrogen sulfide (H2S). It's a byproduct of stressed yeast (especially nutrient deficiency) or wild microbes.

It also may be caused by excessively high sulfate in the water.

A lot of time sulfide ages out on its own (gasses off) during or shortly after fermentation.
Don't bottle it if it stinks because the sulfide won't be able to escape.

Contamination is less likely ... If you bottle just make sure to monitor the carbonation level.

Cheers

Not for Kveik.

For other yeast I would use a pitch rate calculator to make sure there are enough cells, if not I'd make a vitality starter.

I'm doing a Hornindal starter for overbuilding and storage purposes, and my 2L starter is throwing a bunch of sulfur, too. Is this this viable to store for later use?

I know the yeast cells can store and then release hydrogen sulfide later ... but I don't know whether that will matter or occur.

For what it's worth, I would use it.

With all the cases of Hornindal making H2S I've seen, I'm sure it's related to low temperature. If you can keep the starter above 85-ish when propagating, that'd be a good plan.

Yeah, this one's sitting at 70f so that makes sense. For one of my uses I plan on low(er) temps - 70-75f - so I hope it doesn't do this in a full batch.

Clearly this is my first foray with Hornindal.

On the subject of nutrients for kveik; anyone have an idea how many grams of dried bread yeast would one add to boil for a 10 gallon batch at 1.060?

I had the rotten eggs smell as well. I’m halfway through fermentation, and the smell seems to be gassing off.

Back