Horizontal lines vs. vertical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMO

Reaction score
I'm looking to construct a trellis in the backyard but have been considering running horizontal lines vs vertical. Has anyone done this that would have some pointers? I want to make sure if I go horizontal that the spacing is correct and that they would get enough sun. Thanks...

anderj is right about having to train them. Everything I've read says you'd have to re-train them a couple times a week or so to keep them on track. In addition I question whether or not horizontal growth would be as strong as vertical. After all hops are prone to grow vertically and if horizontal were to be more effective then the professional grower wouldn't have given up on horizontal growth decades ago. Then again...they might have just given up on the horizontal growth due to spacing concerns.

I use 4' x 16' welded wire fence panels for trellises. They are suspended on steel "T" fence posts. The top of the panel is about 7 feet above ground. I use twine for the hops to climb until they reach the wire panel. Yes, you do have to train them to grow horizontally when they reach the top of the panel, but it's easy to do. And I am out checking them every couple of days anyway.

I have read that hops do best with a certain number of leaf nodes. These develop along the bine no matter which direction they are growing. I get from 1 to 2 pounds of hops from each trellis on the established plants. Not the maximum yield but more hops than I can use in a year.

Pro growers use vertical trellises for hops because it requires less work and space to produce the same amount of yield. For the home grower hops can be trained to horizontal but it requires considerable effort to train the bines. In addition they will take considerable more room as the bine will grow 16-20ft.

Craig

thanks for the ideas. Also, if I wanted to plant them in large pots instead of in the ground would they do ok? Has anyone had success planting in pots vs. the ground? Because we move around so much I looking to build something that is not very permanent. I may just bolt some 4x4" posted to my fence, attach some eyelets at the top, and run twine down to some anchors in the ground or in to the side of a pot. I was also curious on the height of the plants. If i only give them 12ft or so to grow with they stop at the top or do you have to train them back down the twine?

I grow mine up about 10 feet then horizontally for about 14 feet across a pergola. You will just need to train them about twice a week but it's literally takes less than 5 seconds per bine. It also give you a chance to look over the plant and see how it's doing.

I have very limited room and a dog so I am going to essentially lean a 10 foot by 2.5 foot piece of lattice against my shed in an area I can place some chicken wire around. I plan on it becoming more bushy than just tall. I am doing this more as a novelty than for production. If it works great. If I only get a half pound instead of two pounds thats fine too. I don't brew THAT much!

my brother in law grew his first year crop horizontal and the result was poor. I think his problem was twin 4 y.o. girls and lack of motivation though.

I did like CatchinZs...but mine went vertical 7' and then went horizontal but angled slightly upward (5-10 deg) 10' across. It worked very well, for the first year, we will see what the second year brings.

I've grown hops along a horizontal line up and over my driveway since that's the only space I had. You do have to train them across it every day. Sometimes twice a day in the height of summer.

Back