HOPSTAND

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roythebull

Reaction score
Hi evereybody Hello everyone. is it possible to know the number of ibus when we add the hops in whirpool?. thanks and cheers

Took this from Beersmith, should give you a rough idea on how to calculate IBUs for whirlpooling.
  • Formula: Utilization = 2.39 * 10^11 * e^(-9773/T) where T is in Kelvin
  • Boiling: 100 C (212 F) – Utilization is 100%
  • At 90 C (194 F) – Utilization is 49%
  • At 80 C (176 F) – Utilization is 23%
  • At 70 C (158 F) – Utilization is 10%
  • At 60 C (140 F) – Utilization is 4.3%
  • At 50 C (122 F) – Utilization is 1.75%
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/12/18/hop-utilization-in-the-whirlpool-for-beer-brewing/
I use Brewersfriend to build my recipes and you can put in the temperature for IBUs and it will automatically calculate.

Here is an approximation for hop stand IBUs courtesy of yours truly. Enjoy.

IBU = oz * AA% * sqrt(2*Whirlpooltime) / V

Where the time is in minutes, and the V is flameout volume in gallons. Calculate that for each hop addition and add them all together.

Question about using the formula with Incognito hop extract. Brewed yesterday with it for the first time. Following advice I used about a quart of 165 degree wort to mix it with. It sat while I cooled the remaining 5.25 gallons, then mixed them together. What volume would I use in the calculation? A quart or 5.5 gallons?

Here is an approximation for hop stand IBUs courtesy of yours truly. Enjoy.

Where the time is in minutes, and the V is flameout volume in gallons. Calculate that for each hop addition and add them all together.
thanks for all, but what is "sqrt" ?

Question about using the formula with Incognito hop extract. Brewed yesterday with it for the first time. Following advice I used about a quart of 165 degree wort to mix it with. It sat while I cooled the remaining 5.25 gallons, then mixed them together. What volume would I use in the calculation? A quart or 5.5 gallons?
Interesting. Use 5.5 gallons, but I imagine the concentrated mixture would result in a reduction factor. I can only guess how much reduction. Perhaps figure you got half as much IBUs as my calculation would suggest for a hop stand in the full 5.5-gallon volume. But this is only a very rough guess, too many variables.

Took this from Beersmith, should give you a rough idea on how to calculate IBUs for whirlpooling.
  • Formula: Utilization = 2.39 * 10^11 * e^(-9773/T) where T is in Kelvin
  • Boiling: 100 C (212 F) – Utilization is 100%
  • At 90 C (194 F) – Utilization is 49%
  • At 80 C (176 F) – Utilization is 23%
  • At 70 C (158 F) – Utilization is 10%
  • At 60 C (140 F) – Utilization is 4.3%
  • At 50 C (122 F) – Utilization is 1.75%
https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/12/18/hop-utilization-in-the-whirlpool-for-beer-brewing/
I use Brewersfriend to build my recipes and you can put in the temperature for IBUs and it will automatically calculate.
Your quoted beersmith values seem to be realistic, whereas the ones from brewers friend are not. I use brewers friend, which is usually a great tool, but the whirlpool/hopstand calculation is underestimating the extracted ibus in a hop stand big time. Just witnessed that with my last brew which should have been nicely balanced but actually is more on the edge of being too bitter.

Thanks for sharing the numbers!

Back