Hopstand hop scheduling guidelines - does anyone have any?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am fairly new to hop stands - done them a few times now and like the results. My question revolves around formulating a hop schedule. Does anyone use a guideline of some sort to figure out what percentage of ibus should come from a bittering/first wort addition vs hop stand? I use beersmith and the ibu calculator for hopstands it now has - and I know from reading on the beer smith blog that this calculation is really a sort of best guess - it doesn't allow for varying the temperature of a hopstand (it calculates the same ibu addition if my hopstand is 190 or 160).

For whatever reason - I've been going with about 50/50 - if I'm making a beer that would end up with 50 ibus, I try to get around 25 from the bittering/first wort addition and 25 from the hopstand (using the beersmith method of calculating).

Does anyone else do it this way? Is there a different metric I should use? If you have a favorite recipe that uses a hopstand, what percentage of the bitterness is comming from a hopstand vs. bittering/first wort?

Back