Hopshot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Anybody ever tried this:

NORTHERN BREWER: Northern Brewer's HopShot

hopshot.jpg

"HopShot is CO2-extracted hop resin that can be used for bittering or late additions to boiling wort — treat it just like leaf or pellet hops added during the boil. The HopShot syringe contains 5 milliliters of extract. One milliliter of HopShot yields approximately 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes. Test batches indicate that this bitterness may be slightly less agressive on the palate than your average hop addition."

Isn't that what some breweries use? Since it is for bittering only, I would imagine use of this stuff would not have a major impact on the taste, compared to "real bittering hops".

Some breweries use products like this, mainly tetra (tetra-hydro-iso-alpha-acids). Which is a stabilized form that does not skunk. I find hop oils extracts to be much more useful, since they add aroma and flavor.

Just digging up this old thread to see what experiences people are having with Hopshot.

I have used it on the last 2 brews for bittering and already kegged 1. So far so good.

What I really like about it is that it reduced trub so much. I used a hop sock for aroma and flavor and my mesh screen on my outlet barely had anything on it. Hardly any wasted wort.

If the taste keeps coming out I think for the price it will be used more often than not around here.

Only used it for bittering so hard to say flavor wise.

It does not seem to have a harsh bittering to it. I would love to see who has used ti for flavor or aroma. Don't know if you can.

Very spicy aroma. Almost too much. I tried it once on a Scottish 80 for aroma additions -- and it was too much.

Will only use this for bittering from now on.

Okay, I'm just gonna throw this out there... has anybody dryhopped with one of these yet? I can imagine you wouldn't keep it all in suspension unless you boiled it down in a gallon or so then cooled and added to a keg like the OP but then you'd probably lose most everything but the bittering. Would be pretty cool to just shoot it into a keg and seal it up then shake it bit if that worked.

Would be pretty cool to just shoot it into a keg and seal it up then shake it bit if that worked.

I have two 5 gallon kegs of APA using 100% Amarillo that came out less than stellar on the hop aroma. I decided to try a HopShot of Amarillo to fix this instead of dry hopping. Here are a few take aways:

This stuff is STICKY! like the nuclear waste of hops.. it doesn't come off, anything, ever.. I have glass soaking in PBW..

This stuff is impossible to dissolve in water. I heated 4oz to boil and added the shot only to have a big bead form on the bottom. Looked like oil and balamic vinegar.

In an attempt to test dosing levels I drank a droplet in a beer by accident. Not only am I sure to taste Amarillo for a few days there is a not too unpleasant burn.

In the end I took a pipette and collected the hot hop extract from the bottom of the 4ozs of water and dropped them straight into one of my kegs. With all the messing about I prolly lost 1/4 of the extract so I'm assuming 3/4 in one 5 gallon keg. This should provide a good comparison as it was 10 gallon batch so all other items are equal. Both kegs are on tap so side-by-side comparisons will litterally be a at hand.

I'll keep you posted.

I just used it to bitter an APA worked fine, very strong and what others have said it is sticky as hell.
Try and taste it, Not a good idea...lol
I would buy again.

Back