Hopsdirect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before.

I'd like to start buying hops in bulk to save $$. Is hopsdirect the best place to do this?

How much does shipping usually cost, for 1-2 lbs?

As much as I would like to load up with a lb of 6-7 varieties, I can't. If I were to just buy 1 or maybe 2 varieties to cover all of my needs what should I get?

Thanks.

10-15 bucks to your neck of the woods. I think there is a 5lb minimum shipping weight though, so it is the same for 2lbs as it is for 5lbs. That is my understanding. Great company to buy from.

I like to go with flavors that compliment the styles I like.

Cascade
Centennial
Willamette - Can work for lighter, darker, lager, ales and I think might be your best choice. Low alpha though, so don't look to highly hop something
Columbus
Amarillo

They only come in 1 lb bags min. So 6-7 varieties means as many pounds.

It has, but it's alright.

They are definitely one of the best and the only I've had any real experience with.

I think on my last order (4 lbs), shipping was maybe $7 bucks or so and that is traveling to GA.

I think it depends on what kind of beers you like to drink, although I would suggest a fairly neutrally-flavored, high-alpha bittering hop to use as a base and then maybe something like cascade or centennial (if you like american ales, IPA's, etc.) - I add them to my fruit hefe's also. Maybe something like saaz or hallertau would be good too. I guess it boils down to what types of beers you like and what nationality hopsp you prefer.

Hope that helps...

Yes it does help, $7 seems very reasonable. As far as styles, I like to do a lot of different beers. I'm looking to find a type or two that work in nearly every style. A stout, Wit, Barleywine, IPA, etc.

If I were you, I might just look at multiple recipes for the different beers you like and see what hops seem to keep coming up. Also, see if you can track down a Hop Family Tree that will show you which varieties are similar and thus, interchangeable (to a degree).

I'm also considering this. The purchase of a $100+ foodsaver vac is much more of a hurdle for me.

While vacuum sealing or the like is the best way to store hops, it isn't a necessity. Hops will store quite well in the bags that they are shipped in inside a large zip-lock bag. There are also little manually operated vacuum sealing systems that you can find quite cheaply in the sandwich bag aisle.

You can re-seal the HopsDirect bags with a clothes iron. Open up the bag, take what you need, then put your iron on medium heat and reseal. Next time you need hops, cut the corner, and repeat the process. I've reopened my bag at least 5 times this way, each time taking out 1 - 2 oz of hops, then chuck them back in the freezer. No need for a vacuum sealer.

I have ordered from Hops Direct several times. The shipping was reasonable. Each time I've ordered from them they have always sent at least 6oz more per pound than I paid for.

I'm also considering this. The purchase of a $100+ foodsaver vac is much more of a hurdle for me.
Ahhh another Homebrew Urban Legend, you don't need one. I use Brewsmith, the AA loss of sealed hops versus zip locked frozen is minuscule at best and at the cheap bulk prices you simply add the percentage of AA lost into the recipe. Vacuum sealers are cool and cool is bling and bling is ........

Ahhh another Homebrew Urban Legend, you don't need one. I use Brewsmith, the AA loss of sealed hops versus zip locked frozen is minuscule at best and at the cheap bulk prices you simply add the percentage of AA lost into the recipe. Vacuum sealers are cool and cool is bling and bling is ........

I have a Food-saver and I use it for a lot more than just hops. If this one ever breaks, I'll get another one. If you shop at places like Costco they come in real handy. The Food-saver bags are much better than Zip-Lock bags.

Just ordered a week ago. Should be delivered on the 5th. Cost me $10 to get 4 lbs shipped here. UPS says it's 6 lbs.

I have a Food-saver and I use it for a lot more than just hops. If this one ever breaks, I'll get another one. If you shop at places like Costco they come in real handy. The Food-saver bags are much better than Zip-Lock bags.
Good point, they can definitely be used elsewhere. I just would not let not having one stop me from buying bulk hops versus getting railed by the LHBS at $4/oz for pellets.

I use Brewsmith, the AA loss of sealed hops versus zip locked frozen is minuscule at best

I don't use Brewsmith, but it should allow you to monitor/edit storability for individual hop varieties. And, if you subscribe to Ray Daniels thoughts, different varieties of hops vary greatly in the rate that AA are depleted by time (at varying temps). Certain hops (even at freezing temps) will retain very little of their AA's after a few months.

I just paid $7 shipping for 3 pounds to wisconsin. Shipped that was 3 pounds for $35 or so. Way cheaper than $3 an ounce...

I ordered cascade and centennial. I generally use 1/2 oz centennial in recipes for bittering and an oz of cascade for the rest. People have still loved the pale ale.

Good point, they can definitely be used elsewhere. I just would not let not having one stop me from buying bulk hops versus getting railed by the LHBS at $4/oz for pellets.

I agree. If you don't want to buy the Food Saver buy the Zip Lock pump and the bags that go with the pump and buy in bulk. The limiting factor should be freezer space, not what you put them in.

If you subscribe to Ray Daniels thoughts, different varieties of hops vary greatly in the rate that AA are depleted by time (at varying temps). Certain hops (even at freezing temps) will retain very little of their AA's after a few months.

Which hops lose bitterness the fastest in the freezer, do you know?

I primarily brew once a month in 5 gallon batches. I tend to brew European ales and lagers. I was thinkning of a pound of fuggles and a pound of Mt. Hoodn to last until late in the year. Does this sound about right?

Back