Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Not sure this is proper place for this, why is most likely a silly question, BUT:

Is 1 ounce of whole leaf hops equal to 1 ounce pellets? When a recipe calls for 1 ounce, can I use either form?

Thanks!

Not the same, it takes more whole hops to equal 1 oz of pellets. This is where brewing software is valuable. If you know the target ibu's, it's just a matter if changing the amount to reach the targeted ibu.

I am not so advanced. Is there any kind of general rule of thumb, say 1.5 oz leaf equals 1 ounce of similar AA pellets? Someting like that? I am trying to learn as much as possible, but at the same time INTENTIONALLY keeping myself from getting TOO technical or scientific just yet you know? Thanks again!

I don't think that there's a huge difference. IIRC, pellets have like 5% better bittering potential than whole cone. This article lays it out pretty well.

Back