hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
hey. sorry about this question, but i've always used hop bags and neglected to buy one on with my last order. if i'm gonna do the swirl and siphon thing. i can do that after my wort has cooled right? my hops can stay in the kettle while its chilling?

Yeah, I let it cool, swirl it into a whirlpool and siphon from the edge. Don't worry if you get some or hops in your carboy, it will settle out with the yeast over time.

ok. thanks. this is my first AG. i knew i'd forget somthing stupid. and i loaned my Joy of Homebrewing to a freind who just started brewing. i just wanted to make sure. thanks man

You could always use a sanitized strainer instead...which will also aid in aeration...

I used the strainer approach for my last batch. A problem I found was that there was so much hops gunk that it was clogging the strainer.

hops-sludge.jpg

I had to use a spoon to help get the wort through. Just wondering, is there any problem with taking 10-15 mins to transfer your wort through a strainer?

Not really, except the longer you transfer the greater the chance for an infection - but I have yet to have a problem with this. You might do the straining near your sink or a garbage can so that as the siphon clogs you can flip the strainer over and dump into whatever receptacle you are using. I can get a transfer completed this way in just over a couple mins.

Back