Hops Whole plug or pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelSterling

Reaction score
There are so many different types of hops. There are also many styles. What are the differences? Do whole hops have more flavor compared to pellets? Or more bittering qualities? Sorry if this question has been posted before. I'm trying to bring together a really good IPA.
Also what are some good bittering hops and what are the good aroma hops?

You'll get a lot of varied opinions on both questions. Personally, I work almost exclusively with pellets, just because I find them easier to work with. Others will (and do) vary. I'd say it really depends on application; some feel that whole hops are better for dryhopping, whereas pellets are better for the actual boil. I use pellets for both with no problems.

As for good bittering/aroma, it really depends on your planned brew. Are you going Black IPA (as I see from your signature)? Regular IPA, clean bittering hops are good: warrior, magnum, chinook (spicier, but still nice), etc. Aroma/Flavor: sooooo many. Amarillo, citra, centennial, cascade, simcoe, ahtanum, chinook... If you share your recipe, it'd be easier to narrow things down.

Whole work better with my system, pellets get through the false bottom, and I don't bag. Pellets are more efficient for bittering, but I love whole hops.

As for good hops, it is up to your personal preference. Drive out to Yakima next Sept. Roll in them. Use the ones that stick to you.

smagee said:
You'll get a lot of varied opinions on both questions. Personally, I work almost exclusively with pellets, just because I find them easier to work with. Others will (and do) vary. I'd say it really depends on application; some feel that whole hops are better for dryhopping, whereas pellets are better for the actual boil. I use pellets for both with no problems.

As for good bittering/aroma, it really depends on your planned brew. Are you going Black IPA (as I see from your signature)? Regular IPA, clean bittering hops are good: warrior, magnum, chinook (spicier, but still nice), etc. Aroma/Flavor: sooooo many. Amarillo, citra, centennial, cascade, simcoe, ahtanum, chinook... If you share your recipe, it'd be easier to narrow things down.

image-2548118998.jpg

Here is the recipe that I have been messing around with for a few weeks now. I have only brewed a few times but feel like I got a good hold on things.... Kinda. I have not brewed this yet. I brewed a IPA that I got from a local brew shop in town. It turned out really good. But I want to create something of my own. If you got any pointers let me hear them. I'm wanting a light amber color beer with a nice punch of hops and bitter.
I'm really wanting to make a honey IPA. Something that is slightly sweet.

Yeast

Wyeast
1056 American Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars

10.25 pounds
Liquid Malt - Light
34ppg, 5°L 7 pounds
68.3%
Liquid Malt - Wheat
34ppg, 5°L 2 pounds
19.5%
Crystal 60L
34ppg, 60°L 0.75 pounds
7.3%
Special B
30ppg, 140°L 0.25 pounds
2.4%
Honey
30ppg, 20°L 0.25 pounds
2.4%

Hops
7 ounces
Simcoe hops
13%, Whole 1 ounces 60 min
Magnum hops
14%, Whole 1 ounce 60 min
Summit hops
18%, Pellet 1 ounce 20 min
Amarillo hops
8%, Whole 1 ounce 5 min
Willamette hops
5%, Whole 1 ounce dry
Amarillo hops
8%, Pellet 1 ounce dry

Happy Brewing

Mongrel said:
Drive out to Yakima next Sept. Roll in them. Use the ones that stick to you.

Too funny!
Do the same thing in august and you'll discover the true meaning of cheesy hops!

I sanitize my hands and sqeez remainig wort from my hop bag full of whole hops into the rest of the wort before I transfer. Does anyone else do this?

I put my hop bag in a sanitized strainer over my boil kettle to drain out while I let the chiller do its job.

As far as preference goes I like whole hops because they are easier for me to work with on my system. Turn my hop bag inside out and zap it with some water....plus I'm lazy. I know with pellets you will get better utilization and less loss due to absorption. The way I brew I am not a hardcore numbers guy. If I miss my gravity by a few points its not a big deal in my world. I view the numbers as a general guide. They let me know if I am close to where I want to be. It lends itself to the idea that each batch is slightly different even if its the same recipe.

Back