Hops vines for a lager type beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letsdrinkdinner

Reaction score
Im sure Im getting ahead of myself but I always do that. I am very new to this whole brewing your own beer process. I am working on aquiring the equipment neccesary to brew. I am looking for suggestions for a type of hop vine to plant since I understand that I wont get to harvest until the 2nd season which is about a year and a half from now. i will being brewing with store purchased supplies this summer to figure out how to do this, but I would like to grow my own supplies since I am an avid gardner. The types of commercial beers that I usually purchase are yeungling, amber bock, killians irish red, augustiner, and honey brown. Any suggestions from seasoned veterens would be appreciated. :mug:

The more important question is "what kind of hop varieties can be successfully grown in your growing region?"

LOTS of hops get used in both lagers and ales. Many species are 'generic' enough to be used in a variety of beer styles from a variety of regions.

Hallertauer, Crystal, Liberty, Millenium, Nugget, Saaz, Perle, Sterling, Tettnanger, Target, ... lots of others.

Back