Hops utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just threw a spare quarter ounce of kent goldings (6.9%AA) into 2 ounces of everclear.

Not to drink... but to check out the hops utilization. What do you guys think I should expect? :cross:

Here's another random thought I had. A friend of mine has a juicer. What would happen if you ran the aroma hops through it?

I'm assuming you are talking about whole hops. This is what I'd expect based on my experience making herbal tinctures: homemade hop extract. Which means you are going to get more beta acids and essential oils than alpha acids and bitterness.

If they are pellets, you'll probably extract everything because the AA has already been freed from the interior of the hop flower by the grinding process.

So this is the ultimate dry hop procedure, eh? It adds a tiny little bit of ABV, a ton of aroma, and it comes pre sterilized, thanks to the alcohol. Best of all, it's easy to strain, so there's no mess sitting on the bottom of your secondary.

Also, does this mean, I can strain it and then add the residue to my 60 minute boil to extract the alpha acids? Thereby make a bittered and hoppy aroma'd beer with, say, an ounce and a half of hops?

Back