Hops up in Michigan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
DSC_0006.jpg

My second year Centennial plant putting out some shoots!

Great. Despite the freezing weather here, the afternoon sun seems to be doing the trick. My Nuggett, Willamette and Mt. Hood are showing shoots. Past years, Cascade and Fuggle were first, but neither is showing anything yet. No sign of the Centennial, Perle and Norther Brewer.

Glad to see ya sprouting, I plan on planting some next weekend. Hopefully this summer will be better than the last. Is this your 2nd year growing them? Anything i need to know about growing hops in MI?

This will be my second year. The thing I think that helped mine the most was getting them as much sun as possible and watering daily.

OK so I'm a hop growing newb here but I live in TN and I have one willamette and three Cascade rhizomes in my fridge and its going down to 33 F tonight. Don't you have to wait until there is no chance of freeze to plant these? Surely its colder in MI than here.

Thanks
Alan

Yeah, wait until after frost if possible for new plants. My are growing just because we have had a warm spell.

You can plant once the ground thaws. I live in Climate Zone 1. Freezes are possible any day of the year. They won't do much until the ground warms up, but cold won't kill them.

OK so I'm a hop growing newb here but I live in TN and I have one willamette and three Cascade rhizomes in my fridge and its going down to 33 F tonight. Don't you have to wait until there is no chance of freeze to plant these? Surely its colder in MI than here.

Thanks
Alan

I have about 170 new plants in the ground in TN. Plant away. You should have no problems. I had some of them grow a half inch the other day while it was snowing. They dont mind the cold. Just make sure they have at least 1 inch of soil on top of them.

Cheers

Another new hop grower here in MI. I live out in the country where the deer and the rabalopes roam .Do I need to worry about deer and rabbits helping themselves to my hops?

Another new hop grower here in MI. I live out in the country where the deer and the rabalopes roam .Do I need to worry about deer and rabbits helping themselves to my hops?

I live in the country so far out that I cant get high speed internet and I have never had any deer or other animals eat my hops. And I have deer all over the place.

Without an alternative food source deer are definately interested in the hop leaves. I grew 12 plants last year, nine at home in a location where deer didn't frequent and three at friends' houses. My first year Sterling near a corn field produced four oz. dried which was the best crop I've had from a baby plant. And it grew over 20 feet tall! The first year Golding and Wilamette were chewed to the bine and grew no more than eight feet at the other friend's house which was in the middle of weed(not THAT weed) country. I've not noticed rabbits to be a problem. YMMV but when I move my plants to my new property I'll be chicken wiring around the lower portion of the plants as there are plenty of deer here but no food sources within sight.

Back