Hops to use for a Ginger IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Any recomendations?

I'm looking at maybe 5-7oz of ginger with 20 minutes left in the boil, and maybe 2 oz ginger as a dry hop.

I dont have the recipe worked out yet, but would like to take recomendations on what hops would work well with the ginger, I want it to have absurd hop flavor/aroma in combination with the ginger aroma, without swamping it out(i dont think that would be possible) . My initial thought was Citra,Chinook and Sorachi Ace.

The grapefruit and lemony of the Citra and Sorachi ace might just make the ginger pop, but was hoping the pineyness of the Chinook to bring an interesting contrast.

I probably should have formulated the recipe before I post this, but im not near my beersmith and honestly should be doing a C++ project.

Anyway, any good hop idea to pair up?

What you've said already sounds ideal to me. Maybe dry hop with chinook for contrasting aroma/flavor? I'm not sure Id go for both piney and ginger flavor. Maybe do a few 1 gal tests to see which combo you prefer

I did a Ginger Honey ale with about the same amount if Ginger you're using (7oz). I used Cascade for the whole thing and it turned out really well.

The recipe is in the Database on the front page. Great beer all in all.

I actually seen that Honey Ginger Recipe, looked good and really its one of the recipies I looked at to get my 7ozish quantity, just wanted to get the ABV up a little into the IPA range with a whole lot of citrus hop presence, a little ginger heat with a bit of ginger flavor and aroma mixed in it.

Do you think if I am going for a lot of late addition hops I should increase the ginger quantities a bit to make sure they are noticeable? How long did it take for you're ginger to dissipate?

My ginger beer uses 7# 2 row (sometimes less and LME) and I use 1.75 to 2 lbs of ginger at various additions leaning towards earlier in the boil, and the ginger isn't too strong in a 6 gal. batch. Cascade is a good choice as is lemon as well.

We make some ginger beers, but none as an IPA... when we're throwing in all that ginger, we prefer not to let it fight it out with a mess of hops.

As such, ours is more a pale ale than an IPA... we've been using Cascade and Centennial, but the focus as mentioned is more on the ginger and peppers... ;)

I'd offer to let you try some, since you're just down the road... but I drank it all. Probably won't get to making any more till nearly spring... though a stovetop batch of straight-up ginger ale may be on the horizon. But that'll be a very sweet, mild, "chick-friendly" brew...

I do recommend dry-hopping the ginger, though, if you really want to get some spicy ginger punch in there...

Latest posts

Back