Hops to stock up on..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
I plan to make buy a few pounds of hops from Hops Direct, Cherries Direct - available today from Puterbaugh Farms pretty soon but having only a few kit based brews under my belt I'm still a bit uncertain which hops would be good to have mass quantities of. I like IPAs quite a bit as well as anything lighter than a red. Not so big into porters and stouts..

Which 3 types would you think offer variety to work with as well as versatility.. I am leaning towards Amarillo, Magnum, and either cascade or willamette..

What are your go to hops?

I think it depends on your personal preference, but if you plan on brewing IPA's magnums are great for bittering, and cascades are one of my personal favorites for just about anything.

I would say pick a few hops you like, and order those. Don't know what you like yet? Brew more!

For IPAs, I am really partial to Simcoe and Amarillo. Magnum is a great clean bittering hop. Cascade is also a good "all-around" go to hop for me.
So, there you go....my opinion.

I used a lot of styrian goldings on the last batch. Seemed to be a nice "go-to" style, then again, I really enjoy my weizens.

Any experience with:

First Gold (UK) Pelleted Hops
a/a - 6.5 - 8.5%
Aroma Hop
Aroma - spicy, rich citrus character
Flavor - Orange peel, and dried apricot
Typical brewing use - Ale, ESB
Imported Variety from the UK

I am a big fan of citrus hints in both IPAs and Hefs.

East Kent Goldings as the primary for my English ales, Centennial and Cascades for American, Styrian and Saaz for Belgians, Vanguard, Hallertau, Crystal for my German styles.

I would stick with what you are leaning towards - Amarillo, Magnum, Cascade... Magnum is the best bittering hop around (Columbus is good too). All 3 are good for APA, IPA, Ambers which seems to be your preference... Pick up some EKG for some english style recipes.

Back