Hops That Blend With Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
I have a lot of Columbus hops and am looking at buying another variety or two that would blend well.

So far I've brewed 3 pale ales and a porter using all columbus hops. I usually will brew lighter beers but also like to brew some darker styles to mix things up and have a variety of beer to choose.

I was thinking Simcoe or Amarillo might be nice - although those are some of the most expensive hops out there :cross: Maybe Centennial?

Any recommendations for hops that play well with Columbus would be appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

Yes, Centennial and/or Simcoe. Done it many times. And then dry hop with some Citra, if you like.

#1 on the list would be Simcoe.

See: Gandhi Bot

I love Chinook and cascade with my CTZ. So much so that I grow my own :-D. I'd also grow Amarillo and Simcoe if I could, which also pair well as others have stated.

I will second (or third?) Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. Any of the "C" hops will work well with it. Though I don't know that I would do an all Columbus and Chinook beer. Might get a little aggressive.

Great Pale/IPA/IIPA hop bill: Warrior as bittering, Columbus & Simcoe as late additions, Cascade, Columbus, Centennial as dry hop (plus Simcoe to add/replace any of the dry hop).

The best IPA I've made had equal amounts of Columbus, Mosaic, and Summit late in the boil and at flameout. It was bittered with Warrior. Great stuff.

Mosaic and Columbus create a synergy that defies logic.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I've never tried them as a combo but I have a fair amount of each on hand and am definitely curious

I will second (or third?) Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. Any of the "C" hops will work well with it. Though I don't know that I would do an all Columbus and Chinook beer. Might get a little aggressive.

Aggressively awesome! I hopbursted with CTZ, Cascade, and Chinook and the flavor and aroma is stellar. Possibly even interstellar. Then again, this is my opinion, and your taste us may be calibrated different. I like my IPA dank and piney with notes of fruit.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I've never tried them as a combo but I have a fair amount of each on hand and am definitely curious

I've used, and loved both as a single hop but the two together (2 oz each dry hopped) create an aroma of tropical goodness I've never been able to duplicate with any other combo. I'm telling you, it's impressive.

Back