Hops suspended in co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So my buddy and I have just switched to dry hopping our IPAs in kegs and bottling from the keg. We r force carbonating. The first IPA was a double citra with 4 oz of whole cone and 2 oz of pellets. It came out amazing so we thought we had figured it all out with our IPAs. The next IPA was a double chinook with 4 oz of pellets in the keg. So we bottles yesterday and it was BAD! There was so much hop matter in the beer. So my thinking is that the hops got suspended in the beer and the co2 did not allow them to drop out. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first time we just cut about an inch off the tube. This time we put a screen on the end of the tube but both times we just threw the hops in the keg. The hop particles were so fine and usually they will drop out. We dry hopped for 4 days at 56 then cold crashed for 3 days at 34. Still the hops did not drop out

I once had a keg that was giving me fits in a similar way. I transferred it through a paint strainer bag and into a new keg. Definitely helped clear it up. Although it will defeat your dry hop in a keg idea.

I was thinking of dry hopping in one keg and then transferring to another keg to force carb the beer. Right now we have a zero oxygen transfer system from primary to a co2 purged keg which we r dry hopping in. Also we r rousing the dry hops in the keg with blasts of co2.

Back