Hops Survey!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brando

Reaction score
I was shopping at my LHBS this week and paid $5.00 for 2 Oz. of whole leaf hops. For most brews I'll buy about 4 Oz. of hops. I pay about $20/Lb. of the same. What about everyone else? I'd love to get a feel about how much others usually pay. Do you try to get the best stuff or buy whatever is cheapest?

...Drinking Homebrewed Porter in Portland :cross:

Jmac

Reaction score
I buy in bulk to save money.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
At my local shop it's about $2 an oz but I buy cheaper from vendors on here at about $1 an oz.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
I can get my hop's for about $1.50 an OZ from my LHBS, but if buy in bulk from hops direct I can get them for about 79 cents an OZ, that includes shipping.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Buying bulk hops and storing them in air tight packaging in a freezer is the best way to go in my opinion. If you don't have a food saver you can easily justify the cost on how much money you will save not buying hops one ounce at a time.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
$5 for two ounces it too much. A vacuum sealer is an investment that will pay for itself. Hops Direct is great, but don’t overlook other vendors. Brewmasters Warehouse has some great sales. Recently Ed’s had specials like Cascade, Columbus and Centennial for $5 for 8 ounces. What more could an IPA lover want?

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Wow, $5 seems too much for hops, IMO. If it were that much, I'd buy bulk myself. My LHBS sells them for $2, but with my 10% discount on grains and hops as a Tampa Bay Beers Club member, I get them for 1.80/oz. I realize I could save a bit more money by going bulk, but I don't have an air-tight machine, thing, lol. Or the space atm to store them. Plus, my LHBS is incredible and they've helped me so much, I really like buying from them.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
I used to buy from LHBS until i realized how much money i've been spending.
I started ordering bulk from Hops Direct and have been really happy so far (got a pound of Amarillo on the way.)
Haven't found anyone else that can match their prices yet...

kjjohns5

Reaction score
Hops Direct is incredibly well priced. They sell hops for close to $0.50-$0.60/oz.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
After I sat down and figured out how much more I was paying at the LHBS vs Hops Direct - I have never looked back. I mean, dont get me wrong, there are random 1 offs that I need just an oz of this or that, and I will still utilize my LHBS for that, but I can't justify buying all of my hops from them when HD is nearly half the cost/oz. I have been more than pleased with HD from a price and quality stand point.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
unless it is a specialty hop I wont use much of I try to buy a lb every now and again at hops direct or an equivalent of.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
I got a ton of Bed Bath and Beyond giftcards as engagement presents (might as well shop the over priced store if others are paying) so I'm picking up a food saver next week and then ordering my hops in bulk online. 2 dollars an ounce is fine here and there but my last IPA cost me almost as much in hops as it did grains.

archiefl98

Reaction score
Hopsdirect is great. Also check out wholesalehops.com, nikobrew.com and Steelers77's posts in the Vendor forum. Great deals from a lot of the vendors on here. I have all the hops I need for my common brews in bulk. I hope to never pay LHBS prices again ($2.50-$3.00 per ounce around here!)

phatuna

Reaction score
My lhbs is $6.50 for 2 oz. and $5 for 1 pack of Safeale.

Needless to say, www.hopsdirect.com for bulk hops, AHBS for bulk Notty, and washing any liquid strains that I may use have saved me a tremendous amount of $$.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
I think $20/lb is too high. Last order from hopsdirect got me a pound of leaf cascade, hallertau, and cluster for $45. Oh, and the 1 lb bags I ordered actually had almost a pound and a half per bag!! :rockin:

Frank99

Reaction score
I also buy from Hops Direct in bulk and vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer.
However, there are times when I want to make something and I don't have the particular hop, so I go to the LHBS where it's $10/6 oz ~$1.67/oz

BendBrewer

Reaction score
I was shopping at my LHBS this week and paid $5.00 for 2 Oz. of whole leaf hops. For most brews I'll buy about 4 Oz. of hops. I pay about $20/Lb. of the same. What about everyone else? I'd love to get a feel about how much others usually pay. Do you try to get the best stuff or buy whatever is cheapest?

...Drinking Homebrewed Porter in Portland :cross:
In Portland, Oregon you are paying this price?!?!?!?!?

I suggest finding another store. They are ripping you off.

netjunk1e

Reaction score
That other store should be BrewBrothers in Hillsboro, 1-1.50/oz.

And they have any grain you would ever want super cheap too.

Latest posts