Hops sprouting early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJB5200

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2-yr-old hallertauer plant in a ~20gal planter that didn't do much for the second year in a row this past season. I was going to transfer it to the garden because I'm convinced the soil in the planter just isn't rich enough to support the plant. I decided to drag the planter inside this winter though instead of putting it in the garden before the freeze.

It's been months since the bines withered away and the plant had clearly readied itself for winter, but despite the lack of sunlight where the planter is, new bines started coming up a couple weeks ago. Should I let the bugger keep going to get a start on the spring growth? Or will growth over the winter be detrimental to its flowering cycle?

Thanks,
Kyle

It is probably responding to the warmer temps inside.

This is just my opinion, but letting it grow seems like a gamble. Without adequate light, the bines are growing from the energy stored in the rhizome. If those die - say from the shock of moving it back out in the spring - there might not be energy left to send up new growth.

I would cut them off and move the plant somewhere protected, but colder. Do you have a garage that it could hibernate in for a few months?

Thanks nagmay. I hadn't thought about the fact that the plant might be using up critical energy stores. Since it started sprouting I've been giving it as much light as possible (it gets ~6hrs/day). If I can maintain that, would it be worthwhile to let the plant continue growing? Or is it just not a good idea to attempt indoor growing before the season actually starts?

It's a risk, but it you are confident that you can get it enough light - give it a go.

Back