Hops sealed not in 'fridge.. How long will they last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
A friend gave to me a bag of a variety of hops. He had them sealed in air-tight baggies, and were kept frozen.. I kept them in a keezer until I needed to make room and then I realized that I didn't return them to the keezer.. Well, most of the winter they were in the garage and I just remembered that they were out there!!

So, how long will these unused, sealed hops last? I suspect some of them are already over a year old and lost some of their luster.. however, can I still use them? Like I said, they're sealed twice and unopened.

Is there a way to test the AA'% to see what I'm actually adding vs what is on the label?

thanks

I would say give them a smell and if they smell at all "cheesy" or not like normal hops, don't use them. Otherwise I would use them. Possibly just use more of them and toward the end so as not to mess up IBUs. When I usually make a beer with leftover hops and just try of use them all up by dumping them in at the end. But if they are freezer burned or something like that just toss em. Even with airtight bags air and moisture can seep in eventually.

I would say give them a smell and if they smell at all "cheesy" or not like normal hops, don't use them. Otherwise I would use them. Possibly just use more of them and toward the end so as not to mess up IBUs. When I usually make a beer with leftover hops and just try of use them all up by dumping them in at the end. But if they are freezer burned or something like that just toss em. Even with airtight bags air and moisture can seep in eventually.

I found some Centennial dated 2008.... not sure if any of these are any good... hmm

Back