Hops ripening at different times on same plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scroto

Reaction score
So I have a second year sterling that has put out a fair amount of cones despite my negligence (no trellis, poor watering....:cross:) but the cones on it are ripening at different times. It looks like there's a bunch right now that are days away from being ripe but also about half that amount still taking shape from the burrs.

So my question is if it's ok to pick some hops on a plant while still leaving it growing for the latecomers to finish up? Will they even keep growing or once I pick the ripe ones will the plant sorta just stall out?

I tried USTE but my search skill suck so please forgive me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

You can harvest at your own pace, no problem. That's according to this guide for home and professional growers: http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf

Can I ask a similar question without threadjacking you? I have some first year hops: two cascade, one EKG. The cascades are all producing some full-sized cones at this point, but the EKG only has the faintest hints of cones appearing. They don't seem to be getting any bigger. Is it normal for first-year hops to not really produce anything? It's strange because the EKG hit the ground running when I planted it and is the bushiest plant right now, but it really slowed down vertically. Its main shoot just stopped growing. Also the main stem is a lot thinner than the cascade, which is very thick and almost woody.

[...]So my question is if it's ok to pick some hops on a plant while still leaving it growing for the latecomers to finish up? Will they even keep growing or once I pick the ripe ones will the plant sorta just stall out?[...]

I sure hope it's ok - I have 12 bines that are loaded with 1.5-2" long cones already yet they're all still pumping out sidearms loaded with burrs. I'm getting the feeling this could be a seriously protracted harvest, unless the early picking causes a stall.

Could be worse I s'pose. These are all 1st year bines! ;)

Cheers!

1st years may produce as little as none nut for me it has been around 8oz for 1st years. My 1st year EKG did the exact same. It grew like hell and then petered out... guess that is the typical British Empire theory of growing.

what do you do with the ones that are ready when the rest are not... I mean I have like a dozen that i could pick, but couple hundred that are not ready

Latest posts

Back