Quantcast

hops question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wiggy

Reaction score
hi, im fairly new to homebrewing and am trying to learn a little more before i try my hand at more complicated recipies. when i see these two ingredients; 1.2 AAU hallertauer hop pellets(60 min.) (0.3 oz/8.5 g of 4% alpha acid) the next one is; 1 AAU hallertauer hop pellets(30 min.) (0.25 oz/7g of 4% alpha acid) i know that it is telling me how much and for how long but im not clear on exactly what i would get. how do these two differ and how do i order them. ive looked at hops charts and found hallertauer varieties but alpha acid is given in a range of % and its not clear to me what i would need. im looking for more of a general explanation to learn, rather than just where and what to get for this example.
any help would be much appreciated. thanks wiggy

FSR402

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome..

What I do because I get all my hop local I get the hops and then I adjust the recipe as needed.

In this
1 AAU hallertauer hop pellets(30 min.) (0.25 oz/7g of 4% alpha acid)
what they are saying is that you need 1% AAU for 30 minutes of boil. So if you had some hops that came in at 4% you would need 1/4 of an once to get the 1%
But if they can in at 2 % you would then have to change it to 1/2 oz to get the same AAU's.

Do I make it clear? I think I covered it but if not or you need more I'l be happy to hel somemore. :mug:

FSR402

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
also the longer you boil the hops the more bitterness you get from them and less flavor/aroma
So the 60 will be all bitter and no flavor/aroma and the 30 will be a little bit of bitterness and a lot of flavor and a little aroma.

OP
W

wiggy

Reaction score
thank you, that is exactly what i was looking for.

david_42

Reaction score
You'll probably have to purchase an ounce of pellets and freeze the extra. Companies tend to prepackage hops.

Latest posts