Hops Plants lost leaves after planting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfitz

Reaction score
Is this normal? The vines look green and healthy. Anyone have anything to offer?

image.jpg

Great Lakes hops. Looks like a do over. Three out of four plants ended up like this one. Liberty, Cascade and Magnum. Nothing too fancy about soul prep. Topsoil mixed with my own sandy soil. Guess I'll get in touch with Great Lakes.

The way I understand it planting in the fall is mainly to encourage the roots to get a headstart before next spring. Seems like it would be normal for the bines to die off like they normally would as the crown pulls energy out of the leaves and bines to store over winter. I'd bet there is growth happening just not any you can see above ground.

FWIW I planted some hop crowns from great lakes hops a couple weeks ago and they are looking about as well as yours is.

Lots of plants are susceptible to shock and will appear to die out after transplant. Only thing you can do is give it time to see if it can bring itself back.

If the bines are green you're good. I had a plant sit like that until I trimmed it after 3 months and it's growing green now. I even forgot to water one to the point it dried out and is coming back green on top of brown bines.

In all I have 7 different hop plants. Two I don't hold much stock in their future but spring will tell. The other 5 are doing well. I had three that seemed to die out but one remained green and has sprouted again and looking really healthy. If the two dead soldiers don't come back I'll just replace them in late spring.

My plan is to harvest roots and replant each plant in a row of 3 or 4 plants total. In time I hope to have 25-30 plants.

Back