Hops order, cones or pellet, whats your preferance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I am making a big order for the brewing of my summer beer and have been using pellet. Now I haven't used whole yet, is there any difference in quality?

Thanks

:rockin:

Pellets seems to have a longer shelf life.
Whole hops are cool. They remind me of something else.
Pellets clean up much easier. I just rinse the sludge down the sink.
I get better utilization from pellets. They break down and sink faster.

I personally like either pellet or whole for kettle additions and whole leaf for dry hopping. With my current setup, I've been using primarily whole leaf.

My LHBS primarily has whole hops, so that's what I use. I prefer them as they are bigger and not as likely to get passed through my bazooka screen and into the fermenter.

I like both but typically use whole just because I'm using whole grain and I like using the ingredients in their more basic, unprocessed form...i.e. for no good reason.:)

However, I think I like pellet better for FWH because they seem to dissolve and sink quicker. Whole hops tend to just float when I FWH with them.

Hate pellets, love whole hops - green & smelly. Also you have to wonder with pellets as to what extra crap falls into the pelletizing machine. You just don't know if by accident or greed you are brewing up 4 finger beer. Yuck.

Did I mention clogged filters.

I like pellets just because they are easier to store in bulk. Smaller size packages make SWMBO overlook the fact that I'm slowly taking over the freezer with hops.

:D

Back