Hops on hops on hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksharpesays

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got a ton of hops I will list quantities and types below. I am looking for some quality all-grain recipe ideas for the fall/winter months. Maybe even get started on an early spring beer.

I've got:

2lbs Simcoe (fresh- equivalent to 6oz of pellets)
8oz Cascade (pellets)
8oz German Opal (pellets)
8oz Warrior (pellets)
2oz Apollo (pellets)
1oz Magnum (pellets)
1oz Styrian Golding (pellets)
1oz Styrian Bobek (pellets)

I've got a pretty serious variety of AA %'s.

Mix those opal hops into a straightforward pale ale and let us know what they bring to the party. I've tried the Smaragd ones and I've heard good things about the Saphir but haven't heard much about Opal.

How about 8 lbs 2 row or MO, 2 lbs munich, 8 oz crystal 60
.75 oz warrior at 60 min
1 oz opal at 20
1 oz opal at flameout
1 oz opal dryhop 7 days

With that Simcoe, I would do either an IPA or IIPA. If you're sold on a "winter" beer, IIPA is probably more in line being more malty and higher ABV.

Brew a couple IPAs. You'll probably have to do one single hop IPA with Simcoe since you have so much of it.

For the other one, bitter with Warrior, flavor with Simcoe and Cascade--also put them in the dryhop. You could probably use some Opal in there if you're smart with it.

Save the Apollo for when you have Summit and Columbus on hand. That will make for a real nice dank IPA.

The Magnum and Styrians can be used for a European style ale like a Saison. You can also add some Opal late in the boil here.

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions!
@Daksin - the fresh hops were ordered from Brewmaster's Warehouse http://brewmasterswarehouse.com
@Wileaway - the specific instructions are much appreciated, I will let you know how it turns out. I'm assuming those numbers are for a 5 gallon batch?
@Jaynik - not set on a winter beer with any of them, it just made sense at this time frame. I have no problems making something that can just age until the appropriate season. I've never done an IIPA- I'd probably go with that one.
@Bobbrews - never made a Saison, definitely want to try one. Nice to know I have some hops on hand that can get the job done.

Sorry, yes that would be for a 5 gallon batch. But by all means check the AA% of your hops to make sure you aren't over-bittering. .5 of warrior might end up being preferable to .75. And I don't know what the range for opal is. Probably somewhere between 5-8%?

Back