Hops on Hand - need recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhumm1

Reaction score
I have the following hops on hand looking to get an all grain recipe together -

1 oz Golding
2 oz Cascade
4 oz Willamette

also have some harvested Wyeast 1056 that I want to use.

looking for grain suggestions and what the hop addition schedule should look like.

I have the following hops on hand looking to get an all grain recipe together -

1 oz Golding
2 oz Cascade
4 oz Willamette

also have some harvested Wyeast 1056 that I want to use.

looking for grain suggestions and what the hop addition schedule should look like.

I agree with the previous poster; looks like an APA or AIPA from here. Going off of what I'd roughly expect the AA% for each to be, I'd use something like the following schedule:

60min: 1-2oz Cascade
15min: 1oz Willamette
5min: 1oz Willamette
Flameout: 1oz Willamette
DH: 1oz Willamette and remaining Cascade

For grains, maybe 8-9lb 2-row, 1-2lb munich 10L, and maybe .5lb crystal.

I wouldn't try shoehorning Goldings in there myself, but you could if you really want to clean house. The above schedule is obviously skewed towards a pretty hop-heavy batch, particularly depending on your exact AA%s. If you have a lower-AA cascade, I'd probably use it all and maybe shift the 5 minute Willamette to 20 minutes instead.

thanks smagee, i'll give it a whirl. I like hop heavy beers, so I think i'll drop all the Cascades in at 60. The Willamettes are definitely better when used under 30 mins. I've had a couple batches where I had them in for the entire boil and both didn't turn out that great. I'm not exactly sure on the Willamette AA b/c they were home grown. The Cascades are 8.6% and the Goldings are 4.5%

Back