Hops & MOLD!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

stevenryals

Reaction score
OK, so Midwest sent my hops but they didnt arrive... so I get an call from my local post office (very small town), saying i have a package..
they've sent them to my post office box.. which is the billing address for my card, but not my shipping address (i do a lot of biz with them and they've never shipped anything there)...

well i get them, and i notice a little bit of white fuzz on it... and it appears to be mold.. actually, im pretty damn sure it's mold..

i planted them anyway, hoping that they will grow..

any thoughts... anything i can go to get these going? or is it a lost cause?

The Pol

Reaction score
Let it go, you may be surprised

SOB

Reaction score
I received my rhizomes from Midwest about a week ago and both Willimettes had mold on them. I was thinking that here I had read to scrape it off, but I couldnt remember. I called up Midwest and they confirmed this for me. So I just took my finger nail and scraped off what I could, planted them, drank a beer...and forgot all about it!

You'll be fine...

GearBeer

Reaction score
I had a little mold on the cascade rhizome I got from my LHBS. I made a mild bleach solution and scrubbed it off with a soft brush. Then I rinsed it with fresh water and planted it. :mug:

Nikobrew

Reaction score
We were concerned with this as well as for shipping rhizomes, and one of our suppliers even said they soak the rhizomes in a 5% bleach/95% warm water mixture for a few minutes then rinse them off very carefully (or dunk in clean water). We recommend people who get them do the same if needbe. They said to use a paintbrush to remove any mold that doesn't come off from the rinse. Not the end of the world, its all good :)