Hops Lifespan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kramberry20

Reaction score
I posted earlier about the lifespan of yeast now looking into my hops ... Do they degrade with time? I have kept them air sealed but have about 2 lbs over a year old how long do these keep and are there any downsides to older hops

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey there,

Yes hops do loose AA over time. The rate of loss is depending on the temp they were stored at and how they were sealed.

Software such as Beersmith can calculate the loss so you know exactly.
As an example, Cascade 5.5AA stored at 28* in poly/plastic bag, is now 4.29AA

Hope this helps

Toy4Rick

zeg

Reaction score
Yes, they degrade. The best storage is vacuum-sealed and frozen, but they still degrade slowly. Exactly how much depends on the variety and on whose measurements/models/anecdotes you believe. You can find estimates for the AA% degradation online, and BeerSmith has a calculator for this.

Other flavor components also degrade with time, but I don't know that anyone has anything approaching a useful model for that. I believe cheesy aromas are the usual unpleasant effect. Sniff 'em, I think that will be evident before using them. If they smell ok, they should be ok flavor-wise, albeit not at their best.

If yours have indeed been sealed and stored cool or cold, and they don't smell bad, you could probably use them. I'd say their best use would be bittering, just do your best to estimate the AA% and shoot for the middle of the style as an IBU target. If you want significant hop flavor/aroma, I think you'd be best off using some fresher hops for those purposes.