Hops Killing Canines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify this? Do hops, even the slightest bit kill dogs? My little pooch only weighs 10# (hold your laughter, she will bite your nads off) and everytime I open a pouch of hops she is right at my feet giving me that, 'Please drop some, please, pleeeeze'. I realize and have someone put her away cause of the killer hops.

So I asked at my LHB and the guy told me that it only is dangerous to Greyhounds...

What's the scoop? The science?

Thanks!

:mug:

Hops causes malignant hyperthermia in fairly small doses...I worked at Tufts University Vet School for about 5 years...Keep it away and the same goes for any of cannabinoids (um yeah some of you know what Im "reefer"ing to...lol...Just be cautious, and this goes for spent hops as well...

Can anyone clarify this? Do hops, even the slightest bit kill dogs? My little pooch only weighs 10# (hold your laughter, she will bite your nads off) and everytime I open a pouch of hops she is right at my feet giving me that, 'Please drop some, please, pleeeeze'. I realize and have someone put her away cause of the killer hops.

So I asked at my LHB and the guy told me that it only is dangerous to Greyhounds...

What's the scoop? The science?

Thanks!

:mug:

Your LHBS guy is quoting something he heard about greyhounds, which is correct, but he knows diddly squat about hops and dogs. Greyhounds are more susceptible to malignant hypothermia for many reasons (not only due to hops), but all dogs are affected by MH due to hops ingestion. My wife is an emergency vet and has seen the results - not always a happy result.

Hops causes malignant hyperthermia in fairly small doses

No, malignant hyperthermia is a genetic condition which is extremely rare in dogs. According to the National Poison Control Center, no verified case of malignant hyperthermia has ever been connected to hops.

No, malignant hyperthermia is a genetic condition which is extremely rare in dogs. According to the National Poison Control Center, no verified case of malignant hyperthermia has ever been connected to hops.

Wow - I don't know where you got that information, but you are completely wrong, David. The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) has had a report on MH in dogs from as early as 1997. And they regularly send it out to those calling about this condition.

Quoted from: http://www.bme.ogi.edu/~ericwan/DOG/hops.html
Contact the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) at 800-548-2423. The NAPCC should FAX a copy of a 1997 report on MH in dogs (see references), and provide the recommended treatment. Note that the recommended treatment is currently being updated based on the successful treatment of our Golden Retriever.

References:
"Malignant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ingestion of hops in five dogs", K.L. Duncan, W. Hare, W. Buck, JAVMA, Vol 210, No 1, Jan, 1997. (This is the article that was provided by the NAPCC)

There is also another independent article written on this subject:
Malignant hyperthermia: a syndrome not a disease
Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, Volume 34, Issue 6, Pages 1419-1433
D. Brunson, K. Hogan

Seeing as how my wife is an emergency vet and has treated two separate cases of hops ingestion over the past 3 years, I have to say you are pretty confident for someone quoting a single agency without any factual references.

MH is indeed a predisposed genetic condition in certain breeds (greyhounds for instance). But is not "just" a genetic condition. It can be induced by hops, and my wife has seen and treated it. I saw the most recent dog and it was a rough thing to watch.

Latest posts

Back